Senior Human Resources Manager
*We are entertaining only internal candidates for this position. Stanford University is one of the world’s premier academic and research institutions, devoting tremendous intellectual and physical resources toward the betterment of humanity. As a major Silicon Valley employer, Stanford seeks people committed to excellence and to improving our world. In turn, the university is committed to supporting its employees as they develop their careers and enrich their lives. The vision for the Office for External Relations is to create a broader and more purposeful engagement with our alumni, neighbors, region, nation, and world. External Relations will accomplish this vision by enhancing and aligning current programs, while also developing new strategies for service, philanthropic support, amplified communications, and more robust engagement locally, regionally, nationally and globally. We will enhance collaboration with local partners to address sustainability, affordability and other local challenges, working to become part of the fabric of the neighborhood. External Relations is comprised of 500 employees and an operating budget of $115M. External Relations includes five organizations including Community Engagement, The Office of Government Affairs, University Communications, The Office of Special Events and Protocol, and The Office of Development. The Chief Administration Officer manages an integrated team that provides Human Resources, Finance, IT, Facilities and operational support across all of the organizations and the VP’s Office. This position reports to the Sr. HR Director, who manages the Human Resources and Talent Acquisition teams.
External Relations seeks an experienced and talented individual to join our team as a Senior Human Resources Manager to join our HR team. Our ideal candidate will be an excellent business partner, with strong coaching and mentoring skills. You will have a depth of HR experience in all the roles of a generalist, and be experienced in talent management, workforce planning, performance management, high potential development and succession planning. This role report to the Senior HR Director, and will interface directly with senior leaders across External Relations and their teams.
This role will serve as a strategic human resources advisor and business partner for the senior leadership team and managers for the External Relations client group assigned to the HR Manager. The Senior HR Manager will manage the human resources manager (HRM) and the External Relations HRA 1 both supporting the same client group, and will be guiding these team members in addressing staff related issues, policies, programs, reporting, processes and transactions for the organization.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with the organization's management to support initiatives by understanding the organization's objectives, issues, needs, and key success factors. Serve as the strategic human resources advisor and thought partner for the senior leadership team and managers.
- In collaboration with the Sr. HR Director and the Leadership team, coordinate and deliver a portfolio of ongoing HR programs and initiatives for the organization. Consult and collaborate with the Organizational Learning and Development team to assess organizational and individual staff development needs. Identify, communicate, and consult with staff on training and career development opportunities.
- Provide mentoring, coaching and guidance to staff, and across the HR team.
- Working as a team with the HRM, provide a range of human resources services for the full life cycle of the employee. Identify and implement strategies to improve human resources strategies and outcomes. This includes data analysis, identifying and evolving job classification schema, approaches for remote work, workforce planning initiatives and similar fundamentals.
- The HR services this role is responsible for will include, but are not limited to, operational excellence and strategies for talent acquisition, selection, immigration, onboarding, compensation, talent development projects, workforce planning efforts, and off boarding as needed. Support searches with the Talent Acquisition team, and advise on affirmative action objectives, as needed. Participate in developing diversity and inclusion programs.
- Investigate complex and/or high risk employee relations issues, provide solid advice and counsel towards risk mitigation, and coach towards appropriate resolution; work in consultation with ELR as needed.
- Oversee performance appraisal process; design procedures and documents specific to the organization, as needed. Provide relevant coaching and guidance. Lead the change management process for the roll out of the new UHR performance appraisal tool to replace all tools used in EXRE.
- Manage area's salary-setting program. Along with the HRM, advise managers on assignment of employees to appropriate classification levels; review and approve salary actions; design and/or manage incentive and bonus programs, as needed.
- Oversee processes owned by the local HRM such as workers' compensation, disability, leave, work place accommodation requests, and health and safety issues; oversee and approve human resources transactions submitted for processing. Prepare reports, and analyze data available through local and centralized database resources.
- Provide ongoing training, exposure and experiences for the HRM in all HR functional areas with the goal of enhancing her skills. Manage the HRM and hold regular 1:1s, provide honest, timely feedback, challenging goals and responsibilities and ongoing professional development.
- This role functions independently in most instances and under general direction of the Sr. Director of HR to address a range of complex problems and or organizational issues.
- Collaborate with External Relations leaders to support initiatives by understanding the business objectives, issues, needs, and key success factors. Actively participate in planning processes and promote best practices; provide leadership for workforce planning efforts.
- And other duties and projects as assigned
Minimum Requirements: Education & Experience: Bachelor's degree and five years relevant experience, or a combination of education and relevant experience. 8 -10 years of relevant experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Deep competencies and experiences as an advisor to senior management in at least four human resources areas, including: employee relations, employment and labor law, compensation, staffing and employment, training and development, performance coaching and management, and organizational/talent development.
- Creative and innovative skills in recruiting top talent.
- Deep expertise and experience developing and implementing effective talent management solutions, including workforce planning, learning and development, performance management, and organizational design and effectiveness.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills, strong EQ and expertise in group dynamics. Successful track record of establishing credibility and trust with a diverse client group.
- Excellent facilitation, oral and written communication skills; ability to prepare clear and concise reports and deliver formal presentations or training to senior management and other audiences.
- Strong instructional/curriculum design skills and experience.
- Strong program/project management skills and experience.
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, problem solving, judgment, negotiating, influencing, and decision making skills. Ability to maintain confidentiality, tact, and diplomacy.
- Ability to build the confidence of others through open communication and respectful behavior.
- Strong supervision/management and staff development experience.
- Demonstrated proficiency with business applications, such as Microsoft Office suite and human resource information systems.
We are not able to provide sponsorship or relocation for this position. Office location will be split between the main Stanford campus and Stanford Redwood City campus sites, and currently working remotely due to COVID-19.
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job. The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4706
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: K
- Requisition ID: 86692