Medical Research Specialist I, Genetics and Genomics
This is complex technical work performing a variety of tasks related to executing and overseeing the daily operations of the laboratory. Prepare and complete SNP genotyping assays including, but not limited to, Illumina assays and workflows. Prepare samples for targeted capture of specific regions of DNA for sequencing experiments. This includes library preparation and capture techniques. Prepare and complete Next-Gen sequencing assays including, but not limited to, Illumina HiSeq workflows. Perform quality control checks of data Set up polymerase chain reactions; trouble-shoot such reactions. Perform validation tests of lab reagents. Collect, organize, interpret and submit experimental data to database and supervisors. Maintain timely and accurate laboratory records (electronic and written). Perform general lab maintenance duties. Determine concentration and volume of DNA samples using various instruments. Maintain and monitor inventory of all in-house DNA samples and reagent supplies. Communicate effectively to supervisor and team members. Other duties as assigned by immediate supervisor.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in biological sciences 2 + years of relevant experience
Master degree is preferred
- Knowledge of advanced principles, practices, and procedures of laboratory testing and analysis.
- Knowledge of safe laboratory practices.
- Knowledge of laboratory equipment operation and terminology.
- Knowledge of computer and word processing/database/spreadsheet software.
- Good organization and time management skills.
- Good oral and written communication and training skills.
- Ability to maintain accurate records regarding events, outcomes, and the associated data.
- Ability to perform complex mathematical and statistical computation and analysis
- Ability to exercise independent judgement.
- Ability to introduce/develop new technologies/laboratory methods.
- Ability to troubleshoot complex experimental problems
- Evidence of leadership/management quality.
Special Instructions to Applicant
The candidate will be working under the new Department of Genetics and Genomics
Division: College of Medicine&Health Sciences
Department: Pediatrics - (CMHS)
Job Close Date: open until filled
Job Category: Staff
Salary: 8750 to 18750 AED