Lecturer in Machining Processes
FULL-TIME LECTURER IN MACHINING PROCESSES & MANUFACTURING TECHNOLOGY
The Vietnamese-German University (VGU) is a Vietnamese state university. Founded in 2008, VGU is a joint venture based on a close cooperation between the Federal Republic of Germany and the Socialist Republic of Vietnam, with the goal of becoming the leading research university in Vietnam and the region. VGU´s strategy is to customize excellent German study programs in the fields of engineering, natural sciences and economics to meet the needs of Vietnamese higher education. VGU follows the successful German model and standards concerning the academic and administrative structures.
The Vietnamese-German University (VGU) is seeking 01 highly qualified full-time lecturer in Machining Processes & Manufacturing Technology. Candidates must hold a PhD in this field or a closely related field and have a strong background in research. Successful candidate will become part of an international network of universities and research institutes.
In the role of a lecturer, the successful candidate will teach undergraduate courses in the program Mechanical Engineering (ME) and graduate courses in the program Global Production Engineering & Management (GPEM). The expected workload for the in-class lecture conduction is 240 academic hours per year (1 academic hour equals to 45 minutes).
Teaching should reflect current research methods and results, and comprises lectures on the following modules:
- Production I + II: including primary shaping, material forming, cutting, joining, coating, changing material properties pursuant DIN 8580 with special focus on conventional metal cutting processes, such as turning, drilling, milling, grinding, honing, plastic injection molding, as well as new machining technologies such as electrical discharge machining, electrochemical machining, electron/laser beam machining and additive manufacturing, and should reflect current research.
- Basics of Manufacturing Theory: including introductions of modern production systems. This shows that innovations are necessary not only in the product but also in the manufacturing processes in order to survive successfully in competition. The course therefore provides a comprehensive overview of both established and innovative manufacturing processes and current trends in manufacturing. Generative manufacturing technologies (original forming processes), different solid and sheet metal forming processes, separating manufacturing processes (machining with geometrically determined cutting edge, spark erosion, water and laser cutting) are described in detail. In addition to engineering aspects of these manufacturing processes, the course also includes lectures on manufacturing and assembly systems as well as on quality assurance in manufacturing.
Named courses are subject to change upon realistic needs of the programs. Each course requires conducting relevant laboratory activities and/or advising student projects. Lecturers are welcome to propose elective courses within his/her expertise and in in consultation with the Faculty and the relevant German partner university, here: the Technical University of Berlin.
This position is also responsible for supervising bachelor’s and master’s theses and mentoring PhD students.
As a faculty member of a research-oriented university, the successful candidate is expected to significantly contribute to the scientific profile of VGU through innovative. This includes and is not limited to comprehensive activities in theoretical research as well as applied research in the field of machine tools for high-speed and high-performance cutting, micromachining, virtual machining processes and new machining technologies, such as electrical discharge machining, electrochemical machining, electron/laser beam machining and additive manufacturing. The ability to apply and generate externally funded research projects is highly desirable.
Candidates must hold a PhD in Machining Processes & Manufacturing Technology or a closely related field, preferably from a well-known international university. Experience and understanding of the German higher education system and methodology are highly appreciated. Other requirements include:
- An outstanding academic record with a focus on Machining Processes & Manufacturing Technology or other areas closely related to it
- Strong track record of successful research activities and publications in international and peer-reviewed journals in the related area
- Proven teaching experience with strong self-motivation combined with a passion for teaching and research
- Relevant industry experience
- Proven excellent English proficiency
To find out more about our employment benefits, as well as our application requirements and process, please visit our web page for recruitment: https://vgu.edu.vn/lecturers.