Research Assistant/Fellow in Modelling and Simulation
- RMIT City Campus
- Academic Level A/B, $85, 462 - $114, 672 pa, + 17% Super
- 2-year, Full-Time, Fixed Term Contract
Our purpose is to offer life-changing experiences for our students and to help shape the world with research, innovation, teaching and industry engagement. With strong industry connections forged over 130 years, collaboration with industry remains integral to RMITs leadership in education, applied and innovative research, and to the development of highly skilled, globally focused graduates.
Our people make everything at the University possible. We encourage new approaches to work and learning, stimulating change to drive positive impact. RMIT exists to create transformative experiences for our students, getting them ready for life and work. You will be a part of a productive and collaborative team, who values working relationships and outcomes through open and inclusive planning, continuous information sharing and transparent work practices.
About the role/College
As a top 100 university in the world for engineering (2015 QS Rankings by Faculty; Engineering and Technology), RMIT Engineering provides students with work-relevant education programs, access to excellent research facilities and opportunities to engage in creative real-world project work through robust relations with local and international industry leaders. RMIT Engineerings education is based on innovation and creativity.
The primary objective of the position is to support the delivery of research within two projects. One supported by the ARC Training Centre on Surface Engineering for Advanced Materials and involving industry partner RUAG is investigating high-speed laser metal deposition for a range of applications. The successful candidate will conduct process modelling research in the field of additive manufacturing of metallic alloys for improved mechanical properties.
As the Research Assistant/Fellow you will focus on two projects. One supported by the ARC Training Centre on Surface Engineering for Advanced Materials and will focus on the laser deposition process and interaction between the laser beam and metallic powder particles and how these are deposited onto metallic substrates. The modelling study will complement and feed into the experimental program on the topic. The second project is funded by the Austrian Research Council (FFG) as part of its 'Beyond Europe program. This project will focus on prediction of microstructure and performance in wire deposited additive manufacturing of high strength Aluminium Alloys. RMIT will focus on prediction of defects and grain morphology, particularly hot tearing and porosity formation and in particular the influence of process parameters.
- Ability to undertake research and development activities in additive manufacturing (AM) with a particular focus on the modelling simulation of (A) the interaction between the laser beam and metal powder particles in flight and during deposition on a metallic substrate and (B) the influence of process parameters and alloy on the development of microstructure particularly defect formation.
- Contribute to the academic output of the School, assist with postgraduate and undergraduate student mentoring and work collaboratively and collegially with fellow researchers in the Centre for Additive Manufacturing.
- Experience in developing modelling capabilities and publishing relevant analyses of the literature.
- Provide direct support to an associated postgraduate student.
- Participate in the teaching and learning program appropriate to areas of expertise up to 10% of a full time load.
- PhD or equivalent in relevant field
Note: Appointment to this position is subject to passing a Working with Children check.
Bring your whole self to work
Were proud to share with you some of our wins:
- RMIT University is an Athena SWAN member with Bronze Award accreditation and the College of Science, Engineering and Health is central to driving improvements in gender equality, diversity and inclusion, particularly in the Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics and Medicine (STEMM) disciplines.
- We are ranked #1 in the world for our efforts to reduce inequality in the Times Higher Education (THE) Impact Rankings 2020.
- RMIT University is placed 10th in overall Times Higher Education (THE) Impact Rankings 2020, rocketing up from 82nd place in 2019.
- We placed 11th in the 2019 Talent Board APAC Candidate Experience Awards.
- We were named as an Employer of Choice for Gender Equality by the Workplace Gender Equality Agency in 2019.
- We achieved Gold Employer status for LGBTIQ inclusion in the Australian Workplace Equality Index (AWEI) in 2018 and now in 2019.
- We were recognised as a top five employer in 2018 for workplace accessibility with the Australian Network on Disability.
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter outlining your interest in this role. Candidates are requested to separately address the key selection criteria outlined in the position description. For enquires about this role, you may contact Milan Brandt on Milan.Brandt@rmit.edu.au.
We are also happy to make adjustments to the recruitment process for your accessibility requirements. Please contact us via your preferred type of communication: email TalentSupport@rmit.edu.au or call Kassie on +61399252442 with your request(s).
Applications close Monday 8th of June 2020.
RMIT is an equal opportunity employer committed to being a child safe organisation. We are dedicated to attracting, retaining and developing our people regardless of gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability and age. Applications are encouraged from all sectors of the community and we strongly encourage applications from the Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community.