Vice-Chancellor and Principal
UNIVERSITY OF WOLLONGONG
Inspiring a better future through education, research and partnership
Creating environments where entrepreneurship and innovation can thrive, the University of Wollongong (UOW) is a dynamic university characterised by our innovative spirit and agility. Leading locally by competing globally with our network of Australian and international campuses, UOW is ranked in the top 20 of the best modern universities in the world. A research-intensive university, UOW is recognised internationally for the quality of our education, research impact, industry and community engagement. We are a significant global player among Australian universities. Generating over $2.5 billion in gross output annually, UOW is in the top 200 universities in the world for the quality of our graduates and is Australia’s leading public university for undergraduate student experience.
We are ranked at 188 in the world in the new Aggregate Ranking of Top Universities (ARTU) system which combines the ranking systems of the Times Higher Education (THE), the Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU), and the Quacquarelli Symonds (QS), to produce a meta-ranking score.
As the Australasian member of the University Global Partnership Network, UOW’s strong international outlook is demonstrated by partnerships with peers and industry, government and community-based organisations across the world.
UOW has campuses in the United Arab Emirates, Hong Kong and Malaysia and a presence in China and Singapore. Future priorities include enhancing our offshore course offerings to deliver a truly connected global student experience. Our programs support, encourage and help to generate regional development, innovation and new employment opportunities. We work together with our communities locally and globally to continually identify new areas of collaboration in this rapidly changing world.
Our 2020–2025 Strategic Plan includes our institutional priority of digitalisation which will see UOW pursue projects and redesign processes to enhance and transform our digital capacity and teaching, learning and research practices.
Bringing expertise, experience, creativity and energy, the incoming Vice-Chancellor will be critical to the continued trajectory of success and development that has been the hallmark of UOW since our inception.
- Build trust as a collaborative leader, continuing UOW’s emphasis on innovative research and teaching, while fostering a culture of engagement, excitement and ambition
- Drive and implement the University’s strategic and growth agenda. Ensure long-term financial sustainability, identifying commercial opportunities and effective use of resources, in a time of significant challenge
- Build and nurture key strategic relationships with a range of stakeholders including industry, business, other universities, governments and community groups regionally, nationally and internationally
- A clear vision for the future of higher education to ensure UOW maximises the opportunities available from its significant global presence
- Optimise the benefits of rapid changes in technology and the digitalisation of higher education
- Successful track record at a senior executive level in research or academia, leading a growing and complex tertiary institution, ideally with an international focus
- Strategic, commercially astute, resilient and an excellent communicator, with an inspirational leadership style to engage and motivate staff
- Collaborative with strong relationship management skills, sound judgement and the ability to build partnerships and support from a variety of stakeholders
Korn Ferry is assisting UOW with this appointment. Further information including an information booklet setting out the selection criteria can be obtained from Corinne King on +61 3 9631 0324 or Carolyn Soddy on +61 2 9006 3468 or at UOW@kornferry.com
To apply confidentially, please register your interest with a CV, a cover letter and a statement addressing the selection criteria at UOW@kornferry.com
Primary Location: Australia-New South Wales-Wollongong
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Closing Date: 12/06/2020, 9:59:00 PM
Salary Details: An attractive remuneration package will be negotiated with the successful candidate
Reference Number: 200649
HR Contact: Marcia Sherlock
Contact Email: email@example.com