Assistant Director, Content Services and Technology
The Department of Library and Learning Commons seeks an incumbent for the position of Assistant Director who manages the Content Services and Technology unit of the Zayed University Library and Learning Commons. The highly motivated, collaborative, innovative, and service-oriented Assistant Director provides leadership in strategic planning, administration and resource allocation for the Content Services and Technology team. The Assistant Director is a member of the Library’s Leadership Council and contributes to Library planning and budgeting, policy development and implementation in support of the University’s vision, mission and strategic plan.
Critical Success Factors:
- Strong organizational and leadership skills
- Demonstrated ability to initiate, develop, prioritize, and manage projects or services including effective stakeholder communication
- Understanding and experience of Library Services Platforms, discovery systems, and all areas related to Content Services such as e-resources management, acquisition, and cataloguing Knowledge of metadata schemas, standards, best practices and their applications
- Aptitude for technology; willingness to learn new systems and to share technical knowledge
- Excellent written and verbal communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work with others in a pleasant and open manner
Reporting to the Director, Library and Learning Commons, the Assistant director collaborates with internal and external partners to ensure efficient workflow within the unit and optimal discovery, access, and interoperability across Library and Learning Commons. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Planning, coordinating and managing the personnel and workflows of the Library Contents Services and Technology unit;
- Coordinating effective and efficient acquisitions processes and policies, working with vendors and campus procurement and finance units to ensure that requested library resources are ordered, received, processed and distributed in a timely manner;
- Leading the unit in developing and implementing best practices for resource description and management in the integrated library system;
- Developing and administering technical specification contracts or agreements with vendors;
- Providing leadership and administrative oversight for the planning, selection, adoption, integration and development of future and existing Library technologies, systems, applications, and other digital infrastructure;
- Engaging librarians and faculty in the development of long-term collection strategies, including resource sharing, digital content creation and acquisition, weeding, and collection storage planning, etc.
- Conducting trainings on library technologies and systems;
- Providing analyses for reporting and management purposes;
- Serving as liaison librarian to assigned academic programs for the provision of information and instructional services, collection management, and engagement with faculty, staff, and students promoting library resources and services;
- Fostering and contributing to an environment of collegiality, respect, trust, and teamwork that enables and empowers staff to positively contribute to the goals of the university;
- As an academic faculty position, active participation and engagement in scholarship, teaching and service is expected;
- Other assigned duties as appropriate.
- Accredited master's degree in Library Science or recognized equivalent
- At least six years of academic library experience in job related areas with increasing management responsibilities and demonstrated successful supervisory experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of information technology and of contemporary bibliographic maintenance standards and cataloging rules and guidelines
- Extensive experience in Library Services Platforms, discovery tools, and emerging digital infrastructure that enhance the library services and user experience
- Demonstrated ability to work within team environment to initiate, develop, and manage projects
- Demonstrated ability to deal with changes, ambiguity, and complex problems
- Ability to write clear reports and convincing proposals
- Experience in training and mentoring
- Arabic language proficiency is an added advantage
The University’s benefits package is highly attractive, with competitive salaries free of tax in the U.A.E., cash housing, a furniture allowance, annual vacation airline tickets for the employee and immediate family, educational subsidies for children and healthcare is provided to the employee and sponsored family members.
Please visit our web site www.zu.ac.ae and click on ‘Employment’ to be directed to the recruitment website
While we appreciate all applications, you will be contacted only if you are selected for an interview.