Assistant Professor, Family Medicine
The United Arab Emirates University invites applications for a faculty position. Qualified candidates at all levels will be considered at a rank commensurate with academic accomplishments.
The candidates will be involved in teaching medical students, interns and residents, performing research in areas relevant to Family Medicine providing clinical care and quality control of assessment internally and externally. The Department of Family Medicine coordinates a 4 week required family medicine clerkship in the final year of the undergraduate curriculum. Faculty in the Department are also extensively involved in the clinical skills training of the first four years of medical school. The Ministry of Health offers a four-year family medicine residency based in Al Ain, and DFM faculty participate in teaching and evaluation of the residents as part of their integrated clinical program. Research is an important expectation for this position and candidates should have some prior experience in this area with evidence of scholarly activity. Significant opportunities exist for funding and technical support and excellent collaboration exists within the CMHS. Clinical care is an expectation of this position including working in primary health care centers affiliated with the CMHS and DFM. Expectations from appointee:
The Department of Family Medicine functions as a team and the management style is team based and participatory. All Faculty members participate proportionately in the different activities and may be expected to share responsibility for different activities. Activities within the Department are planned in advance to align with the Faculty, Departmental, Service and annual calendars.
- Family Medicine Consultant service in PHC clinic.
- Participation in CME and guideline development
- Participation in in-service training of community preceptors involved with student training
- Personal development and CME update to maintain HAAD license.
- Participation in relevant clinical research projects.
- Participation in relevant research in medical education
- Supervision and support of residency research projects
- Application for seed money and relevant research grants
- Undergraduate teaching: (teaching, assessment and administrative tasks assigned)
- Foundation year teaching and assessment in professionalism and ethics
- MSC teaching and assessment in doctor patient relationship, professionalism and ethics
- OSC PBL teaching in assigned modules
OSC 1 and 2:
Skills teaching and assessment in assigned modules. Module coordination as assigned.
- Family Medicine clerkship:
- portfolio moderation, face to face teaching in clinics, facilitation of case discussions, assessment and administrative tasks assigned.
- Post graduate teaching:
- Family Medicine Residency teaching: Workshops, group facilitation, research support and assessment.
- Faculty service:
- Assessment board:
- Develop assessment items for all teaching activities involved in
- Develop assessment items and participate in standard setting, OSCE and activities related to external examinations e.g. HAAD and EMTREX examinations.
- Participation in committees as assigned by department/faculty
- Management and coordination of teaching modules as assigned
- Other administrative duties which may be assigned ad hoc related to line function of appointee.
Candidates for this position must have: an MD or MBBS degree, completion of advanced postgraduate training in Family Practice, prior undergraduate and postgraduate teaching experience and have certification/fellowship (or equivalent) in North America, Australasia and Europe.
Evidence of prior scholarship including publications in internationally recognized peer-reviewed journals is also a requirement for the position. Formal training in education and research will be beneficial to the applicant.
Division College of Medicine&Health Sciences
Department Family Medicine - (CMHS)
Job Close Date open until filled
Job Category Academic - Faculty
Salary 35000-45000 UAE Dirhams per month, based on experience