Senior Data Scientist
A research lab in the Division of Biomedical Informatics Research and the Institute for Immunity, Transplantation and Infection at Stanford School of Medicine is seeking highly motivated individuals for multi-disciplinary research in computational immunology. The individuals will be involved in projects that will utilize diverse cohorts generated using state-of-the-art technologies across a multitude of diseases. These individuals will work in collaboration with, work under the supervision of, and lead teams of postdocs and graduate students focused on immunological diseases. The Biostatistician will consult with investigators to define and refine research questions, hypotheses, design studies and devise analysis plans, mentor clinical investigators on relevant research methods, and work with both senior and junior members of the lab to implement and supervise analysis plans and publish the findings.
At the Stanford Center for Biomedical Research (BMIR) we develop cutting-edge ways to acquire, represent, and process information about human health. In order to handle the ever increasing amounts of data in healthcare and biomedical research, our faculty, students, and staff investigate and create novel computational, statistical, organizational, and decision-making methods. Our research advances the state of the art in semantic technology, biostatistics, and the modeling of biomedical systems to benefit clinical and translational research as well as patient care.
- Oversee lower-level staff on quality control.
- Oversee lower-level staff on creation of analytic files.
- Identify appropriate statistical tools for analysis.
- Implement data analysis through statistical programming.
- Consult with investigators and others on appropriate statistical approaches to data analyses; assist in study design.
- Develop oral and written dissemination of findings for conference presentations and peer-reviewed journal articles.
- Strong background in machine learning, biostatistics and bioinformatics.
- Extensive experience in single cell epigenome: analysis, normalization, interpretation, methods development.
- Experience in modeling, analysis of biological pathways, and development of novel investigation methods.
- Experience in drug repurposing/discovery.
- Experience with languages for integration, exchange, visualization and analysis of biological pathway data (e.g. BioPAX, KEGG).
- Experience with analysis and development of Biomedical ontologies (RDF, OWL, SPARQL).
- Experience with retrieval and analysis of electronic medical records.
- Experience with analysis of sequencing data.
- Experience in the analysis of data describing rare diseases, with focus on autoimmune diseases (e.g. Systemic Sclerosis, Idiopathic Pulmonary Hypertension).
- Experience with transplant immunology.
- Experience in the analysis of single cell data.
- Manipulation and analyses of complex high-dimensional data.
- Experience with analysis of high-throughput antigen profiling data.
- Programming (python, R, Java, C++), database (Postgres, MySQL, Oracle), and web development tools.
- Experience with deep learning approaches.
- Experience in High Performance Computing (CUDA, multi-threaded applications).
- Experience in ChemoInformatics, computational modeling of chemical structures (OpenBabel).
- Demonstrated ability to implement machine learning models in scalable format for broad applicability.
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
- Must have at least basic experience with wet lab techniques (PCR, Western Blot, cell cultures)
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
- Master’s degree in biostatistics, statistics or related field and five years of experience or Ph.D. in biostatistics, statistics or related field.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- Proficient in at least two of R, SAS, SPSS, or STATA.
- Skills in descriptive analysis, modeling of data, and graphic interfaces.
- Outstanding ability to communicate technical information to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Demonstrated excellence in at least one area of expertise, which may include coordinating studies; statistical methodology such as missing data, survival analysis, statistical genetics, or informatics; statistical computing; database design (e.g., expertise in RedCAP or MySQL); graphical techniques (e.g., expertise in Illustrator).
CERTIFICATIONS & LICENSES:
- Frequently perform desk based computer tasks, seated work and use light/ fine grasping.
- Occasionally stand, walk, and write by hand, lift, carry, push pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
*- Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
- May work extended or non-standard hours based on project or business cycle needs.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University’s Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu/.
WHY STANFORD IS FOR YOU:
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 5523
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: K
- Requisition ID: 86088