Postdoctoral Research Associate, Department of Physics
Department of Physics
Salary: £35,931 to £42,456 per annum - including London Allowance
Closing Date: Friday 24 April 2020
Interview Date: See advert
Applications are invited for post of Postdoctoral Research Associate in the Department of Physics of School of Engineering, Physical and Mathematical Sciences.
The successful applicant will join a three year project in the field of Coherent Quantum Phase Slip (CQPS) in superconducting nanowires. The project is funded by Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council. An active research team is working on the project, which includes three member of staff and four PhD students.
We expect applicants to have the following qualification and knowledge:
- PhD or equivalent in a related field of study;
- Work experience in the field of experimental superconductivity and Josephson junctions;
- Experimental skill in the field of superconducting qubits and superconducting quantum optics;
- Knowledge of quantum mechanics. Ability to evaluate quantum systems in dissipative environment, including numerical simulations;
- Work experience of modern nano-technological methods, micro-fabrication and Electron Beam Lithography;
- Work experience with dilution refrigerators;
- Work experience in microwave characterization of superconducting qubits by network and spectrum analysers.
Main duties and accountabilities of the post:
- To undertake simulation of superconducting devices;
- To design and fabricate devices based on superconducting nanowires and superconducting qubits. This will include CAD design, clean-room processing, including nano-fabrication;
- To measure the devices in a dilution refrigerator at milliKelvin temperatures;
- Using creativity to analyse and interpret research data and draw conclusions on the outcomes;
- Writing up papers for publication in scientific journals;
- Making presentations at international conferences and scientific events;
- Using initiative and creativity to identify areas for research, develop new research methods and extending the research portfolio.
In return we offer a highly competitive rewards and benefits package including:
- Generous annual leave entitlement
- Training and Development opportunities
- Pension Scheme with generous employer contribution
- Various schemes including Cycle to Work, Season Ticket Loans and help with the cost of Eyesight testing.
- Free parking
The post is based in Egham, Surrey where the College is situated in a beautiful, leafy campus near to Windsor Great Park and within commuting distance from London.
For an informal discussion about the post, please contact Prof. O Astafiev on Oleg.Astafiev@rhul.ac.uk or +44 (0)1784 414196
To view further details of this post and to apply please visit https://jobs.royalholloway.ac.uk. For queries on the application process the Human Resources Department can be contacted by email at: email@example.com
Please quote the reference: 0320-096
losing Date: Midnight, 24 April 2020
Interview Date: 14 May 2020 (TBC)