Postdoctoral Fellow, Center for Membranes and Advanced Water Technology
Organization Name Center for Membranes & Advanced Water Technology (CMAT)
The newly-established Khalifa University of Science and Technology combines The Masdar Institute of Science and Technology, Khalifa University of Science, Technology and Research and The Petroleum Institute into one world-class, research-intensive institution, seamlessly integrating research and education to produce world leaders and critical thinkers in applied science and engineering. Khalifa University of Science and Technology endeavors to be a leader among research intensive universities of the 21st century, while catalyzing the growth of Abu Dhabi and the UAE’s rapidly developing knowledge economy.
- To provide high-quality research support and undertake internationally competitive research, thereby contributing to the academic and research mission of the University and the CMAT.
- To present research plans and findings in a convincing style, both in oral and written modes of communication.
- To support the research activities of the principal investigators, who are members of the Center for Membrane and Advanced Water Technology, by helping them in executing specific experimental campaigns and occasionally train graduate students on the operation of equipment.
- Acquire the varied skills necessary to advance their career with guidance from the advisor. These skills include, but are not limited to, the ability to present research plans and findings, the ability to understand research group management and supervision of others, and the ability to establish contacts and network with colleagues pursuing a similar research agenda.
- The postdoc will work to support four research projects conducted under the Center for Membrane and Advanced Water Technology (CMAT). In these projects, the postdoc will be directly involved in research studies focusing on performance enhancement of membrane-based water treatment and desalination systems (such as membrane distillation) with the core themes such as improving energy efficiency, mitigating fouling, and improving module design elements such as spacers. The postdoc will contribute towards the CMAT initiatives to build and enhance the center’ international reputation. The postdoc will engage with local and regional stakeholders by contributing to the organization of training workshops, capacity building sessions, and technology transfer activities. The postdoc will be involved in planning, procuring, and building the necessary experimental setups to execute these projects. The postdoc will also be supporting the work of 3-5 graduate students who are funded under CMAT by providing them with necessary equipment training, guidance on equipment operational protocols, troubleshooting, and data analysis. He/she will be responsible for making sure the center labs are running properly and that needed chemicals and supplies are procured in a timely manner, that equipment is maintained, and safety protocols are followed.
- A Doctoral degree in a relevant engineering or science major is required. For example, in chemical engineering, water/environmental engineering, material science/engineering, or chemistry. The candidate’s main doctoral thesis subject should be related to the development, enhancement, and operation of membrane-based systems. He/she should have a good record of publication, evidence of research excellence and excellent communication skills.
- The postdoc’s previous research experience should enable him/her to make a strong contribution in the areas of desalination, water and wastewater treatment, membrane transport phenomena, and membrane fouling. He/she should be able to design, operate and assess experimental setups/equipment as per the study requirement and further be able to perform process diagnosis, design iteration and improvement as needed.
- He/she should have demonstrated experience with membrane testing and characterization. He/she should also have a good level of training or familiarity in essential membrane characterization and other relevant equipment, such as Microscopy (SEM, ESEM, TEM, UHR-SEM, AFM), Material Testing (FTIR-MS, DSC, TGA), Fluorescence microscopy, UV/Vis Spectrophotometry, Contact Angle Measurement, Ion Chromatography, ICP-OES, TOC and UF/RO/MD testing setups. These equipment and characterization tools will be needed in the research to be conducted under these projects.
How To Apply
Note: You will be required to attach the following:
- Passport-size photograph
- Teaching and Research Statement
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (RecruitmentTeam@ku.ac.ae).