Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Food/Pharmaceutical Process Engineering
Work type: Continuing
Division/Faculty: Melbourne School of Engineering
Department/School: School of Chemical and Biomedical Engineering
Role & Superannuation rate: Academic - Full time - 17% super
Salary: $102,967 - $122,268 p.a. (Level B) or $126,128 - $145,431 p.a. (Level C)
The University of Melbourne is consistently ranked among the leading universities in the world, we are globally engaged; comprehensive; research-intensive; and committed to responding to the major challenges of our time.
The Melbourne School of Engineering (MSE) is strongly committed to supporting diversity and flexibility in the workplace. Improving the representation of women is necessary in our goal to innovate and to strengthen MSE’s reputation as a best-in-class centre of research.
About the Department of Chemical Engineering
We are a large Department with approximately 25 teaching and research staff, 30 full time research staff and around 90 PhD students.
We pride ourselves on the mentoring opportunities we provided to staff to help you have the career of your dreams.
Academic staff have been elected as Fellows of the Royal Society, the world's oldest scientific society, the Australian Academy of Science, and the Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering.
Industry Engagement is a key focus, and we carry out research projects based on deep collaborations with government and business and work with organisations that provide internship opportunities for our students.
You'll find smart people, big problems, and plenty of chances to create a real difference in the world!
About the Role
We are looking for an aspiring leader in Chemical Engineering to join an accomplished and passionate group of academics.
You will bring with you a strong research profile with capacity to enhance our Food and Pharmaceutical processing research domain, in either:
- Food Engineering, including Industrial food processing
- Pharmaceutical processing
To uplift our research capability, we are seeking someone with expertise in any of the following areas: catalysis, production scale chromatography, cell culture, spray drying, crystallisation, solvent extraction, homogenisation, rheology and structure, anaerobic digestion and other food waste treatment operations.
In this prominent and continuing position, you will join our academics and enrich our collaborative, interdisciplinary research and teaching across departments.
All candidates will be able to demonstrate the following:
- A degree in chemical engineering or a related discipline.
- A PhD in engineering, applied science or a cognate discipline.
- A track record of quality research in either food and/or pharmaceutical engineering.
- Record of achieving the highest levels of scholarship in engineering and/or industrial processing research relative to opportunity.
- Potential to lead a research program in fundamental and/or applied areas with clear links to industrial challenges.
- Capacity to teach effectively across a broad range of subjects with a focus on the student experience
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to build networks with industry partners and other researchers, both locally and internationally.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a team, building rapport with all levels of staff within a diverse work environment.
Full selection criteria can be found in the attached PD. There are additional key selection criteria for more experienced candidates seeking a Senior Lecturer position.
Finally, this exciting career opportunity will support you independently and as a member of the team to work across all four pillars of an academic career and you will have responsibility to:
- pursue internationally leading research
- deliver teaching and teaching innovation
- engage with industry and other partner institutions
- take on service or leadership roles within the University
What we offer you
We offer flexibility, whatever that may mean for you. Many of our benefit programs and onsite amenities are aimed at supporting you - including generous leave, child care subsidies, discounted parking, medical and health care. We offer extensive opportunities for personal and professional development, and we’ll support you in doing what you love.
We seek to increase the diversity of our workforce and the representation of all members of our community that have been traditionally under-represented.
If you’re curious, motivated and ready to undertake a meaningful and rewarding role we’re ready to meet you.
How to Apply
- Apply online with a cover letter outlining your motivation and reasons for applying with your resume.
- We ask that you please address the selection criteria for this position on a separate document and keep your responses short and succinct.
- A 1-2 page research plan outlining projects that will be the focus of the first five years in this position, commenting on problem significance, general approaches to be used and possible funding sources.
While we review your application, get to know us by visiting http://www.eng.unimelb.edu.au/about/join-mse/why-join-mse
Applications close: 14 Apr 2020 11:55 PM AUS Eastern Standard Time