Yale University is looking for a well-rounded Software Engineer to join a large Application Development and Support team. This team is responsible for the development, enhancement, and support of a suite of applications built in a variety of technologies. This is a hands-on position which will require both breadth and depth in software development, as well as delivering technical solutions for complex projects.
Responsibilities of this position will include:
- Key responsibility of this position is as a Report and Dashboard developer.
- Responsible for developing and maintaining BI Dashboards using Tableau.
- Responsible for developing custom SSRS Reports.
- Responsible for developing Stored Procedures and Views using TSQL as data sources for the Tableau dashboards and SSRS Reports.
- Responsible for working with Application developers and ETL developers to design and develop reports and dashboards that follow Yale’s style guidelines.
- Develops programs or systems of small to moderate size and complexity. Modifies existing systems at all levels of difficulty.
- Provides informational input into decisions concerning the development and delivery of applications, programs and systems. Defines and analyzes requirements to meet the expectations of stakeholders and intended end user needs, scheduled timeline, and budgetary targets.
- Analyzes, defines and designs new systems and applications. Writes code in support of business solutions.
- Responsible for the creation, definition, communication, and management of project plans which includes architectural design, technology selection and methodologies to apply.
- Troubleshoots problems and provide ongoing maintenance and support for applications and systems.
- Prepares documentation, user manuals and develops formal proposals for new systems and modifications to existing systems. Mentors technical staff and provide training for end users.
- Contributes in the development of policies or modifications to exiting policies.
- Applies and keeps current with existing and emerging technologies and methodologies. Provides ongoing input to the establishment of programming standards, procedures, and methodologies.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor's Degree in a related field and two years of related work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Proven experience working in Microsoft stack. Strong SQL Server 2014(and above) and T-SQL programming skills. Experience in SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS). Experience in BI tools such as Tableau.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Ability to work in a team of highly-skilled technical developers. Ability to take valuable input from experts and adjust design to incorporate those inputs.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Proven ability to adjusts readily to multiple demands by shifting priorities. Ability to multi-task.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Strong analytical, critical-thinking and problem-solving skills, with thorough attention to detail. Excellent communication skills.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Bachelor's Degree in a related field and 6 years of related work experience.. 4-6 years experience in Microsoft stack. Experience in Database Design, Development and administration. Programming experience using Blackbaud’s Infinity Platform SDK is a big plus.
Weekend Hours Required? Occasional
Evening Hours Required? Occasional
Drug Screen: No
Health Screening: No
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Yale University is a tobacco-free campus