Summer Worker, Paint Shop
Department Paint Shop
Category Building Trades and Technicians
Full-Time / Part-Time Temporary
Application Deadline 8/31/2020
Applies coats of paint, varnish, stain, enamel, or lacquer to decorate and protect interior or exterior surfaces, trimmings, and fixtures of buildings and other structures by performing the following duties.
- Reads work order or receives instructions from supervisor regarding painting.
- Smoothes surfaces and removes old paint from surfaces to prepare surfaces for painting.
- Fills nail holes, cracks, and joints with caulk, putty, plaster, or other filler.
- Spreads dropcloths over floors and room furnishings, and covers surfaces such as baseboards, door frames, and windows with masking tape and paper to protect surfaces during painting.
- Paints surfaces with brushes, spray gun, or paint rollers.
- Simulates wood grain, marble, brick, or tile effects.
- Applies paint with cloth, brush, sponge, or fingers to create special effects.
- Erects scaffolding or sets up ladders to perform tasks above ground level.
- Will be required to use Bosun’s Chair and swing stage occasionally.
- Washes surfaces prior to painting with mildew remover.
- Assist other tradesmen in more complex projects. Ability to work with other trade workers; responsive to customer concerns.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Requires the experience and in-depth trade proficiency with a minimum of five years of painting experience at the journey level.
- Valid driver’s license to drive University vehicles (will be discussed during the interview)
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Four years vocational school or equivalent
The physical demands described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Stand or walk up to 4 hours at one time, up to 8 hours per day;
- Sit for less than 2 hours during an 8 hours day.
- Operates motor vehicles or heavy equipment (e.g., forklift, high reach, cherry picker) occasionally (less than 33% of the workday)
- Lift or carry up to 35 pounds frequently (34 – 66% of the workday) and 60 pounds occasionally (less than 33% of the workday);
- Lift up to 60 pounds to waist height and up to 35 pounds in a range of motions from floor to overhead;
- Frequently use hands for simple grasping, fine manipulation, pushing or pulling (34 – 66% of the workday);
- Occasionally crawl, knee stand, push or pull with forces up to 60 pounds (less than 33% of the work day);
- frequently bend, squat, kneel, climb stairs, climb ladders up to 50 feet in length, reach overhead, push or pull with forces up to 35 pounds (34 – 66% of workday);
- Will be required to handle and use paint related chemicals occasionally
- Must be able to wear and use protective equipment including respirators.
- Will be required to work in an area of light to heavy noise levels daily
- Must be able to work with vibrating power equipment daily (power sanders, etc.) occasionally.
- Will be required to work around dangerous power equipment (e.g. Machine Shop) occasionally.
- Work outdoors in a variety of temperatures and environmental conditions;
- Possess ability to work at heights, full range of body motions and physical agility, and ability to maintain balance.
Be advised that you will be contacted only if there is further interest in your application. Your candidate dashboard may not display status updates for this requisition.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW