Information Security Data Modeler and Developer
Yale University’s Information Security Office is seeking an experienced Database Developer and Data Modeler to assist in the creation of a new “big data” platform. This new solution will improve our ability to analyze events, detect threats and understand the assets on our network.
We are looking for curious, security-minded people who are interested in joining a team of dedicated professionals. Ideal team members bring with them a collaborative approach to problem solving, a willingness to think creatively, and their own unique blend of skills and experience to help drive the execution of the long-term security strategy of the University.
The ideal candidate will be able to perform the following duties:
- Work with operational and engineering teams to implement data collection and storage strategies, build data ingestion flows, develop conceptual/logical/physical data models, and implement proposed database designs.
- Develop, enhance, and document standards and schemas for the ingestion, transformation, normalization, and enrichment of security-related data. Data sources will include logs from applications, operating systems, hosting platforms, and network appliances. Additional sources will include security event detection tools, threat intelligence databases, vulnerability scanning tools, and asset inventory databases.
- Identify and develop interfaces to data sources using modern programming APIs and traditional database tools.
- Develop actionable reports from security-related data.
- Develop data visualization dashboards using available tools. Assist operational staff in building their own queries and visualizations.
- Serve as a general resource for orchestration and automation of Information Security Office workstreams.
- Generate documentation for internal use, including service documentation, platform requirements, and recommendation for future platform improvements.
- Work with operational and engineering teams to implement data strategies, build data flows, and develop conceptual/logical/physical data models
- Identify and develop interfaces to data sources, tools supporting automated data loads, security concerns, analytic models, and data visualization.
- Assist in designing and implementing data-centric processes and procedures with the purpose of integrating Information Security workstreams.
- Script and/or program security tasks. Log parsers and informational displays. Report on security metrics and other security systems.
- Develop security metrics dashboards and reports using Visualization tools.
- Serve as a resource for security orchestration and automation.
- Generate requirements, recommendations, and documentation for internal use.
- Develop standards for security information storage, logging, monitoring, tagging, indexing, correlation/summarization, querying and presentation.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field five years of related experience in an information security environment or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with high-level programming and database management.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Proven experience organizing and completing sizable, data-driven software solutions.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Proven experience in data modeling principles and methods including conceptual, logical & physical data models.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Proven experience with designing and supporting solutions on relational database technologies.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Proven experience with developing database and API integrations.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Demonstrated experience participating in the planning and execution of large, technology-related projects.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Elastic Stack experience (esp. Elasticsearch and Logstash) is highly desired. Experience with programming in Python, Java, Scala, Ruby, or Golang desired. Experience working with Machine Learning tools, Kafka, Kafka Streams, or Memcached is a plus. Experience working in a “DevOps” or “DevSecOps” environment. Experience with containerized applications is a plus.
Weekend Hours Required? Occasional
Evening Hours Required? Occasional
Drug Screen: No
Health Screening: No
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: email@example.com.
Note: Yale University is a tobacco-free campus