Full / Assistant / Associate Professor in Philosophy, Science and Society
Position Faculty - Philosophy, Science and Society
Location Hanoi, Vietnam
VinUniversity is a newly developed, private, non-profit university in Hanoi, Vietnam. It was established by Vingroup with a mission to be the first world-class, internationally accredited and recognized university in Vietnam. VinUniversity has two overarching goals: to excel in teaching; and to produce graduates and research that contribute to developing the key economic sectors of Vietnam.
The formation of the VinUniversity Project has resulted from the collaboration of Vingroup with Cornell University and the University of Pennsylvania. Cornell provides academic consulting on Management, Engineering and Technology; and Penn focuses on the Health Sciences disciplines. Both Cornell University and the University of Pennsylvania are distinguished Ivy League institutions based in the United States of America. Cornell is involved in every aspect of the development of VinUniversity from infrastructure and campus planning to curriculum development and faculty hiring. Cornell’s SC Johnson College of Business is providing extensive academic advisement in a variety of areas, drawing from a wealth of faculty expertise at multiple colleges and units at Cornell University. Penn’s medical and nursing schools are functioning in a similar fashion to guide the formation of health science education at VinUniversity and to interface with Vinmec, Vingroup’s outstanding health system which currently encompasses 7 hospitals throughout Vietnam. VinUniversity aims to meet the QS 5-star rating standards and will include the following colleges within the University: a College of Business and Management (including Hospitality, and Real Estate); a College of Engineering and Computer Science; a College of Health Sciences. The University will be an English Medium Instruction (EMI) institution and plans to open for the inaugural class of students in Fall 2020.
Vingroup was established in Ukraine in 1993. Upon its relocation to Vietnam, the venture officially became Vingroup Joint Stock Company in 2012. Vingroup’s mission is “to create a better life for the Vietnamese people.” In 2016, Vingroup was recognized among the “Top 50 Most Valuable Brands in Vietnam” (by Brand Finance magazine). Today, Vingroup is one of the leading private enterprises in Vietnam, operating in eight core business areas including real estate, retail, hospitality, education, agriculture, healthcare, heavy industry (starting with automobile manufacturing) and smart technology. In 2016, education and healthcare became not-for-profit value-based systems.
Pham Nhat Vuong is the founder and chairman of Vingroup, which has $3.97 billion USD in net revenue (2017) and a largest market capitalization value of $13.6 billion USD in Vietnam (2018). Chairman Vuong is a visionary and true patriot of Vietnam and firmly believes that education is the single biggest catalyst that can transform the destiny of an individual, society, and nation. His aspiration is to create a breakthrough in the Vietnamese education sector and to groom the next generation of leaders in the 21 century and beyond for Vietnam.
FACULTY OF ARTS AND SCIENCES
The Faculty of Arts and Sciences is the first home for all students enrolled at VinUniversity as they embark on a nuanced journey of self-discovery in a state-of-the-art tertiary education designed in collaboration with leading universities in the world, top minds in Vietnam and passionate stakeholders. In this sense, General Education at VinUniversity is essentially a “gateway” between past and future, theory and practice, and local and global. This is where students, faculty and staff collectively take the first step towards realizing VinUniversity’s mission of contributing to the betterment of Vietnam and the world.
Our Faculty of Art and Sciences takes inspiration from the three principles of education reform, namely “dan toc” [nation], “khoa hoc” [science] and “dai chung” [people] put forth by Vietnam’s longest serving Minister of Education, the late Professor Nguyen Van Huyen, who strived to develop an education system to build a modern nation for all Vietnamese citizens in the trying times of post-independence Vietnam.
For the betterment of Vietnam as a nation and to contribute to the world as members of the global community, General Education at VinUniversity begins with developing in each individual a conscientious and critical understanding of the self, Vietnam and the world. To develop a reflexive understanding of the self, we encourage students to step out of their comfort zone, self-cultivate an open mind and most importantly, to dare to dream! Yet, to be able to do so means developing a grounded and critical understanding of the past and present of Vietnam, how we understand ourselves and how others try to understand us, and finally, how we could together look to the future. To find our place in the world and to have a voice in how our future could be, General Education at VinUniversity is thoroughly infused with a global-local approach in the design of class-based courses and co-curricular programs. We approach the global with a view that “digital is the new global” and ask, “What are the possibilities we may uncover in the age of globalization underlined by digital infusion?”
To fully explore possibilities of how the digital could change the world and help us fulfill the primary mission of VinUniversity, the Faculty of Arts and Sciences at VinUni aspires to become a model bona-fide interdisciplinary core curriculum in Vietnam. Taking onboard experiences in multi-disciplinary, cross-disciplinary and interdisciplinary research and teaching from across the world and different intellectual traditions, we adopt a grounded but innovative approach in the design of courses in collaboration with faculty, students and relevant stakeholders in state and society. Serving as the core curriculum for all VinUniversity students, each course in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences is designed to plant the seeds that will help students ask “big questions” about past and present, to develop the capacity to learn new skills and to bridge the gap between theory and practice. Our co-curricular programs, planned in collaboration with a wide of range external stakeholders, extend beyond the initial year to take students out of the classrooms to fully reap the benefits of experiential learning.
The Faculty of Arts and Sciences is the place where you will encounter like-minded passionate and innovative academics who are devoted to education and grounded in interdisciplinary, socially engaged and global/digital research specialization.
To competently serve society with heart and mind, the Faculty of Arts and Sciences seeks to begin cultivating in each student six identified attributes, namely: Character, Competence, Critical Thinking, Leadership, Entrepreneurship and National Pride-Global Awareness. Right from the beginning, we encourage students to ask the questions, “what could you do for society” and “how would you go about actualizing your goals?” To enable students to be a part of VinUniversity’s founding mission, we seek to develop future leaders who take pride in their national heritage, are global minded, have character and possess an entrepreneurial spirit. The Faculty of Arts and Sciences is where this journey begins.
We are looking for a promising entry, mid-career or established scholar specializing in Philosophy, Science and Society that are familiarity with works on Sociology of Science. This candidate will be a member of the team who will contribute to the continuous development of the philosophy, science and society studies component of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences. Although the candidate will have a particular disciplinary background, we are looking for a scholar who embraces an interdisciplinary approach and better still, infuses a digital interest in his/her/their research. We encourage research-led teaching at the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, so the candidate is expected to have an active research agenda.
The Faculty of Arts and Sciences at VinUniversity is recruiting passionate and innovative faculty members in all ranks, both full-time and visiting, in Philosophy, Science and Society. Full-time Open Rank position who could teach in Marxist Philosophy, Philosophy of Science, and/or Sociology of Science.
Full-time faculty members are expected to fulfill 3 major areas of responsibilities: teaching, research and service. Workload allocation will be based on faculty ranking and faculty track in alignment with international standards and practices.
- Prepare detailed course syllabus and instructional materials of assigned courses based on the course descriptions provided.
- Teach assigned courses including lectures/tutorials/seminars, homework assignments, labs, projects and student assessment.
- Conduct short field trips, hackathons, study tours or non-class based activities as part of course requirements.
- Supervise or assist with supervision of undergraduate students.
- Lead or contribute to the production of blended learning materials (MOOC, COIL, Infographics, etc).
Research and creative works (for Senior Lecturers and above):
- Carry out research and produce publications, or other research outputs beneficial to society.
- Lead or participate in collaborative research projects.
- Obtain research funding support.
- Organize or participate in conferences/seminars aimed at sharing research outcomes and building interdisciplinary collaboration within and outside the university.
- Engage with the wider scholarly, governmental and professional communities.
- Contribute to the development, planning and implementation of a high quality curriculum.
- Serve as academic mentors for students.
- Participate in the administration of the university’s programs of study and other activities as requested.
- Contribute to college and VinUni-wide working group or committees as requested.
- Contribute to student recruitment activities as requested.
A number of selected Senior Lecturers will be sent to Cornell University or other top universities for a professional development program to prepare for qualifying as Assistant Professors.
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
- PhD in Philosophy, Science and Society or related fields.
- Familiarity with works on Sociology of Science will be an advantage.
- Have experience in teaching university level courses to students who are non-native English language learners.
- Have experience in or willing to apply innovative Teaching & Learning methods.
- Have experience in or excited about building a new university program will be an advantage.
- Have experience beyond strictly, pure academic environment will be an advantage.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Ability to speak, read and write Vietnamese will be an advantage.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
VinUniversity will provide support for your research and professional development as following:
- Annual research and professional development support budget
- Student Research/Teaching Assistants in upcoming graduate programs
- Potential tenure contracts after initial probation and promotion periods
- Potential collaboration with many industry partners within Vingroup ecosystem and in the region
LIVING AND WORKING IN HANOI, VIETNAM
- Accommodation: VinUniversity will provide accommodation benefit in the compensation package and assist with accommodation options.
- Working permit: VinUniversity will assist in and provide advice for obtaining the necessary paperwork needed for employment in Vietnam (visa, working permit, ID, driver license, insurance, etc.)
- Child education: VinUniversity will assist in finding an excellent school for your child/children. There is education allowance if your child/children study at Vinschool.
- Living costs: Vietnam has a comparatively low cost of living and expatriates can live a very comfortable life here with a moderate expenditure.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please send (1) a resume, (2) a cover letter, (3) a writing sample to email@example.com . Consideration of candidates will occur on a rolling basis beginning September 2019, and will continue until the position is filled. Individuals who wish to nominate a candidate should submit a letter of nomination including the candidate’s contact information to the Search Committee. The desired position start date is January 2020 – July 2020, subject to negotiation.
All applications should be named: Name-Applied Position-(CV/Cover letter/Research Statement…)-Applied Date. For example, if your name is Linh Nguyen, you apply for Hospitality Management Faculty on Sep 21st 2019, your CV attached should be: Linh Nguyen-Hospitality Management Faculty-CV-21Sep19, your Cover letter attached should be: Linh Nguyen-Hospitality Management Faculty-Cover letter-21Sep19. Application that doesn’t follow this Name Format will not be considered for further process.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
More searches like this
- History, Philosophy & Theology Academic Posts jobs in Vietnam
- History, Philosophy & Theology Professors / Chairs jobs in Vietnam
- History, Philosophy & Theology Principal / Senior Lecturers / Associate Professors jobs in Vietnam
- History, Philosophy & Theology Lecturers / Assistant Professors jobs in Vietnam