Dean of Student Affairs, Provost Office
Zayed university is the newest Federal University in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) established in 1998. It operates two major state of the art campuses in Abu Dhabi and Dubai in addition to satellite offices for continuing education. The university offers around 35 undergraduate and graduate programs in the Arts, Business, Communications, Education, Humanities & Social Sciences, Information Technology, and Natural & Health Sciences for a student population of around 10,000 students, 90% of whom are women with separate gender instruction in the undergraduate programs and mixed gender in the graduate programs. The University is accredited by the UAE Commission for Academic Accreditation (CAA) and the US-based Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE). The academic programs in each college are outcome-based and are accredited by US professional accreditation commissions, namely AACSB, ABET, ACEJMC, and NCATE, and substantially recognized by NASAD. The university emphasizes research along with the instructional activities and aspires to becomes one of the leading regional universities in research and educational innovation.
The Provost Office seeks an incumbent for the position of Dean of Student Affairs who is responsible for the leadership and management of Student Affairs, which includes the Student Leadership Department, the Student Counselling Center, and the Student Careers and Alumni Office. The Dean for Student Affairs plays a central role in creating a university culture that promotes the academic achievements and personal development of students and coordinates the students’ extra-curricular activities that complement their academic preparation. The Dean advocates on behalf of students, and fosters collaborative relationships among students, faculty, and staff.
The Dean reports directly to the Provost.
The Dean is ultimately responsible for activities within the scope of the Student Affairs Deanship.These include, but are not limited to, the following:
- To lead, monitor and manage all activities and units within Student Affairs, including the Student Leadership, the Student Counselling Center, and the Student Careers and Alumni Office.
- Implement and maintain the organizational structure and staffing of Student Affairs to effectively accomplish the division’s goals and objectives.
- To work closely with the Provost and with other senior officers of the University to ensure that student services maintained at a high level and provide support and opportunities for all students.
- Provide leadership in recruiting, supervising and evaluating staff in the Student Affairs units, and ensure that suitable opportunities are offered for training and professional development.
- Provide leadership and supervision for the planning, organizing, and coordination of the Student Affairs departments.
- Oversee the recruitment, training, supervision, professional development, and evaluation of division staff.
- Manage the fiscal, material, and human resources of the Student Affair’s departments in a manner consistent with institutional goals, mission, and the University’s strategic plan.
- To develop the university’s standards, policies and procedures in order to deliver efficient and effective student services and to maintain a student-centered delivery of student activities and services.
- Promote positive relations with student body through effective two-way communication and dialogue.
- Ensure that sporting and other student activities are safe and well-managed, and appropriate to the needs of students, and ensure that co-curricular activities support student achievement.
- Undertake any other duties that may be reasonably assigned by the Provost.
An earned doctorate from a leading accredited institution with administrative experience at the director-level or higher in a higher education institute.
Strong evidence of leadership in the management of several operations and services, that meet international standards and success in building teamwork and creating a shared vision.
Strong communication and interpersonal skills; ability to function in a constantly changing environment; cultural sensitivity and a flexible approach to problem solving.
The University’s benefits package is highly attractive, with competitive salaries free of tax in the U.A.E., cash housing, a furniture allowance, annual vacation airline tickets for the employee and immediate family, educational subsidies for children and healthcare is provided to the employee and sponsored family members.
Visit our web site www.zu.ac.ae and click on ‘Employment’ to be directed to the recruitment website. In addition to completing the online application form, please attach a cover letter, a current CV, transcripts and certificates, names and contact details of three professional references and a statement of your teaching philosophy.