Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Medical English
LECTURER/SENIOR LECTURER IN MEDICAL ENGLISH
LECTURER/SENIOR LECTURER IN MEDICAL ENGLISH
Location Hanoi, Vietnam
VinUniversity is a newly developed, private, non-profit university in Hanoi, Vietnam. It was established by Vingroup with a mission to be the first world-class, internationally accredited and recognized university in Vietnam. VinUniversity has two overarching goals: to excel in teaching and training; and to produce graduates and research that contribute to developing the key economic sectors of Vietnam.
The formation of the VinUniversity Project is actualized through collaboration of Vingroup with Cornell University and the University of Pennsylvania. Cornell provides academic consulting on Management, Engineering and Technology; and Penn focuses on the Health Sciences disciplines. Both Cornell University and the University of Pennsylvania are distinguished Ivy League institutions based in the United States of America. Cornell is involved in every aspect of the development of VinUniversity from infrastructure and campus planning to curriculum development and faculty hiring. Cornell’s SC Johnson College of Business is providing extensive academic advisement in a variety of areas, drawing from a wealth of faculty expertise at multiple colleges and units at Cornell University. Penn’s medical and nursing schools are functioning in a similar fashion to guide the formation of health science education at VinUniversity and to interface with Vinmec, Vingroup’s outstanding health system which currently encompasses 7 hospitals throughout Vietnam. VinUniversity aims to meet the QS 5-star rating standards and will include the following colleges within the University: a College of Business & Management (including Hospitality, and Real Estate); a College of Engineering and Computer Science; a College of Health Sciences. The University will be an English Medium Instruction (EMI) institution and plans to open for the inaugural class of students in Fall 2020.
Vingroup was established in Ukraine in 1993. Upon its relocation to Vietnam, the venture officially became Vingroup Joint Stock Company in 2012. Vingroup’s mission is “to create a better life for the Vietnamese people.” In 2016, Vingroup was recognized among the “Top 50 Most Valuable Brands in Vietnam” (by Brand Finance magazine). Today, Vingroup is one of the leading private enterprises in Vietnam, operating in eight core business areas including real estate, retail, hospitality, education, agriculture, healthcare, heavy industry (starting with automobile manufacturing) and smart technology. In 2016, education and healthcare became not-for-profit value-based systems.
Pham Nhat Vuong is the founder and chairman of Vingroup, which has $3.97 billion USD in net revenue (2017) and a largest market capitalization value of $13.6 billion USD in Vietnam (2018). Chairman Vuong is a visionary and true patriot of Vietnam and firmly believes that education is the single biggest catalyst that can transform the destiny of an individual, society, and nation. His aspiration is to create a breakthrough in the Vietnamese education sector and to groom the next generation of leaders in the 21st century and beyond for Vietnam.
The College of Health Sciences (CHS) is responsible for running a suite of courses at Undergraduate and Postgraduate levels.
As English is the medium of instruction, the College is recruiting faculty members to support prospective students in development of their English language skills.
The position is a full-time faculty appointment supported through a competitive start-up package.
REPORT TO: Vice Dean, Health Sciences
- The successful candidate is expected to work closely with the Penn and Vin University educational leaders, Program Directors on all aspects of the development and implementation of the English for Health Professionals Program.
- Provide leadership at course level for implementation of educational experiences incorporating student centered learning as well as evaluation.
- Participates in research activities of the College of Health Sciences and engage in continuous professional development activities.
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
- A Postgraduate degree or equivalent in English Literature and Language Studies
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in teaching English for non-native students.
- Familiarity and experience using Team based Learning and/or other small group learning strategies.
- Verbal communication skills in Vietnamese is desirable.
- Teaching Health professionals in a multicultural setting is desirable
LIVING AND WORKING IN HANOI, VIETNAM
- Accommodation: VinUniversity will assist with accommodation options.
- Working permit: VinUniversity will assist in and provide advice for obtaining the necessary paperwork needed for employment in Vietnam (visa, working permit, ID, driver license, insurance, etc.)
- Child education: VinUniversity will assist in finding an excellent school for your child/children. There is education allowance if your child/children study at Vinschool.
- Living costs: Vietnam has a comparatively low cost of living and expatriates can live a very comfortable life here with a moderate expenditure.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please send (1) a resume, (2) a cover letter, (3) a writing sample to email@example.com
Consideration of candidates will occur on a rolling basis beginning December 2019, and will continue until the position is filled. Individuals who wish to nominate a candidate should submit a letter of nomination including the candidate’s contact information to the Search Committee. The desired position start date is March 2020 – July 2020, subject to negotiation.