Special Scientist, Research, Department of Law, University of Cyprus
Department of Law, University of Cyprus
Vacancy for Special Scientist for Research
Number of positions: one (1)
Duration: 2 months
The Department of Law, University of Cyprus is accepting applications for the position of one special scientist for research on a part-time basis (75 hours/month) in the context of the start-up research fund of Dr Ioanna Hadjiyianni, Lecturer in European and Environmental Law at the Department of Law, on the topic ‘The Global Reach of EU Law: The Case of Ship Recycling’.
- Law Degree from a Recognised University (LLB)
- Excellent knowledge of the English Language (proven through previous research work in English or completion of degree in English-speaking university).
- Experience in conducting legal research in an academic or policy context on EU law and/or international law.
- Good computer skills and good knowledge of Microsoft Office programs.
- Excellent organisation skills and commitment to complete duties within specified deadlines, effective report-writing skills, very good research skills.
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Master’s Degree (preferably LLM)
- Doctorate in Law (PhD)
- Pre-existing knowledge and/or experience of international legal issues on flag state/port state jurisdiction, IMO Conventions, shipping.
- Research and report-writing experience on relevant issues.
Responsibilities and Duties
The successful applicant will be expected to conduct legal background research on:
- The basic structure and requirements of relevant EU law (Waste Shipment Regulation and Ship Recycling Regulation) and international agreements (IMO Hong Kong Convention on ship recycling and Basel Convention on transboundary movements of hazardous waste).
- The work carried out by international institutions and EU institutions on the relationship between the aforementioned overlapping regimes.
- Court cases in different jurisdictions (including in EU Member States and third countries) relating to the implementation and enforcement of the relevant international agreements and EU regulations.
- Any additional legal issues relating to the applicable legal framework on shipbreaking as may be required.
The special scientist will be expected to prepare executive summaries of the above to assist the principal researcher of the project, Dr Ioanna Hadjiyianni, in the completion of empirical research on shipbreaking through interviews.
The employment duration is set for two months on a part-time basis (75hrs/months) to start as soon as possible. The payment is set at a total of 2,250 euros (1,125 per month). From this amount, employer and employee contributions will be deducted. The Research Funding does not provide for the payment of a 13th salary or the coverage of health care. The successful applicant does not need to be a national of the Republic of Cyprus but it is a requirement that he/she is a resident and employed in the Republic of Cyprus.
The interested applicants should send the below required documentation electronically to Dr Ioanna Hadjiyianni at email@example.com by 11 February 2020.
- Cover Letter demonstrating your interest and competence for this position.
- Full Curriculum Vitae (including contact details – email address and phone number).
- Scanned copies of relevant degrees and detailed grading. Names and contact details (email addresses) of two persons, at least one of which should be an academic, from whom a reference letter may be requested.
Interviews for this position will be held on Wednesday, 19 February (provisional date).
For further information on the specific position please get in touch with Dr Ioanna Hadjiyianni at firstname.lastname@example.org or at +357-22894596.