Student Systems Technical Analyst
The focus of this position is to analyse and deliver solutions to complex system queries and provide high quality technical advice relating to data and reporting across all student administrative systems. The incumbent of this position supports various technical work packages in a major Student Management System platform uplift program and helps to clear operational reporting and data request backlog from production systems.
Division of Student Life
The Division of Student Life plays a critical role in driving and meeting the University’s objectives and strategic intent. Working closely with and across the Colleges and Divisions, and in collaboration with the Office of the Provost, the Division has a focus on cross-institutional academic quality, innovation in learning and teaching, efficiency of services, domestic recruitment, suitability of learning infrastructure, and overall student experience.
The Division encompasses the following Directorates;
- Domestic Recruitment and Engagement
- Learning, Teaching and Student Engagement
- Library and Information Services
- Student Services
Student Services Directorate
The Student Services Directorate provides academic, administrative and student support services to the University community and is responsible for a large component of the non-academic domestic and international student experience at JCU. The Directorate plays a pivotal role in relation to the student experience, the ability of the University to meet its enrolment and financial targets and the reputation of the University.
James Cook University
Under broad direction from the Student Systems Administrator
- Provide consultancy advice to clients on innovative solutions to application problems using prioritisation skills and analytical expertise.
- Document solutions and develop user-friendly documentation to ensure that all procedural documentation is up-to-date, easy to understand and trackable for continuous improvement.
- Provide database analytics expertise in interrogating application databases to support technical work packages in a major platform uplift program and clear operational reporting and data request backlog.
- Ensure proper functioning of corporate applications to meet the strategic needs of the Division and the University by monitoring application performance and responding to system alerts and service requests.
- Participate in specialised working groups and teams both within Student Systems and from outside of the Directorate as required to assist in delivering planned program work packages and operational requests.
- Support and pro-actively engage with Student Systems’ cross-functional project and support teams as well as the wider University business staff to meet their needs in relation to systems reporting requirements and capabilities.
- Support the University's commitment to the principles of reconciliation, which exemplify respect for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander heritage and the valuing of justice and equity for all Australians.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the University values.
- Support the principles of the TropEco program and engage in commitment to JCU sustainability goals and objectives.
There are generic responsibilities that apply to all James Cook University staff. Your specific level descriptor can be found within the Enterprise Agreement.
There are generic responsibilities that apply to all James Cook University staff.
- The Student Systems Technical Analyst is required to observe the lawful and reasonable directions, policies and decisions of the University Council, understand and comply with the Enterprise Agreement, the Statutes and Rules of the University, the policies and decisions of the University Council and other appropriate University authorities, as in force from time to time.
- The Student Systems Technical Analyst is required to demonstrate a personal commitment to ensure personal safety and the safety of others and contribute to the continuous improvement of our WHS performance. This includes the effective implementation and compliance with James Cook University WHS policies, procedures and safe systems of work, together with all relevant legislation, duties and obligations. Contribute to the continuous improvement of our WHS performance.
- The Student Systems Technical Analyst is required to exercise proper discretion in all matters affecting the well-being of the University which involve public writing or speaking in accordance with the University’s Code of Conduct.
- It is a requirement of this position to occasionally work outside of the ordinary span of hours.
Applicants are asked to address the selection criteria when applying for this position.
- Degree qualification with 4 years subsequent relevant experience or; extensive experience and specialist expertise; or broad knowledge in technical or administrative fields; or an equivalent combination of relevant experience and/or education training.
- Demonstrated experience in developing, supporting, and testing data and reporting solutions including the use of SQL to analyse data.
- Advanced skills using a range of reporting tools, particularly Crystal Reports.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving skills in enterprise application environments.
- Demonstrated capacity to assist in the development of system documentation and functional specifications.
- A track record of self-motivation and self-discipline to plan and organise both self and others to ensure the timely completion of tasks consistently meeting deadlines. Demonstrated well developed written and oral communication, negotiating and interpersonal skills and an ability to liaise with senior staff across a broad range of system related matters whilst maintaining positive client relationships.
- Familiarity with data tables in the Technology One Student Management System and/or other student information systems in the higher education sector.
- Experience with process automation tools such as ETL and Web Services