- Graduate Research School
- Mount Lawley and Joondalup Campus
- Casual Contract
The SOAR Centre is a peer-to-peer support service for Higher Degree by Research (HDR) and Honours candidates. The Centre is run by 10 higher degree by research candidates (SOAR Ambassadors), employed to offer both one-to-one and group support in research skills training and professional development.
In the SOAR Centre, we provide:
- Support for life as a research candidate and the challenges associated;
- Opportunities for professional and career development;
- Advice for building research skills with peer-to-peer support; and
- Resources for your studies.
In semester 1, 2020 we have 2 or 3 x SOAR Ambassador positions available.
You will be required to:
- Provide peer-to-peer support, both in-person and online. Types of support might include software troubleshooting, academic writing, mentoring, giving presentations, referencing support and other valuable skills to share with your research community.
- Facilitate small group workshops, called SOAR Sessions, on your research and professional skills.
- Build online resources from the SOAR Sessions into BlackBoard
- Assist HDR and Honours candidates in engaging with online profile tools, such as LinkedIn.
- Support your peers in their cultural and academic transition to life as a research candidate.
- Provide your peers with information on services at ECU, to facilitate their experience.
- Represent the SOAR Centre at functions such as Research Week, induction events, coffee mornings and other occasions.
You will also demonstrate personal attributes that are congruent with the University’s values of Integrity, Respect, Rational Inquiry and Personal Excellence.
Benefits & Remuneration
These casual positions attract remuneration of $37.13 per hour plus 9.5% University superannuation contribution.
ECU supports a work/life balance for staff. Benefits such as flexible working arrangements may also be negotiated to meet your personal circumstances. For information on the benefits of working at ECU, please visit our Employment Opportunities website.
Interested applicants are welcome to email Emma Chessell-Keevers via firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
How to Apply
- Complete the online Human Resources Personal Details Application
- Complete and attach the separate Word document entitled ‘SOAR Ambassador Application’ detailing your top 5 research skills.
- Attach your CV
- Request your supervisor to complete the separate Word document entitled “Supervisor Referee Report” and return the report to email@example.com
- The Selection Criteria is provided for your information only
Applications close on Wednesday, 29 January 2020 at 11:30 pm WST
PLEASE NOTE: APPLICATIONS WILL ONLY BE ACCEPTED FROM CANDIDATES WHO HAVE THE RELEVANT WORKING RIGHTS TO FILL THIS POSITION.
ECU is a diverse and inclusive workplace reflecting the differences in society. Specific strategies and initiatives are in place to address under representation of specific groups. Applications are encouraged from suitably qualified people from all backgrounds. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are strongly encouraged to apply.