Associate General Counsel
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Posted Job Title
Associate General Counsel
Job Profile Title
Associate General Counsel
Job Description Summary
Assists Senior Counsel in management of all medical malpractice claims involving the Health System and its insureds, counsels/represents Health System physicians and staff in litigation-related matters and professional board inquiries, provides legal support to Risk Management and advice to Health System physicians and staff on risk management-related issues, and makes educational presentations on claims and risk management related issues.
- Assists Senior Counsel in management of all medical malpractice claims involving the Health System and its insureds, counsels/represents Health System physicians and staff in litigation-related matters and professional board inquiries, provides legal support to Risk Management and advice to Health System physicians and staff on risk management-related issues, and makes educational presentations on claims and risk management related issues.
- Manages an individual caseload of pre-litigation matters and litigation matters from pleadings through settlement or disposition at trial, including but not limited to, drafting and reviewing pleadings and discovery, conducting investigations, interviewing witnesses, conducting case analysis and tracking, communicating with outside counsel, the MCARE Fund and insurers, as needed, developing case strategy, preparing requisite updates, notices and reports to insurers and other individuals and entities, as needed, evaluating cases for settlement or trial, managing settlement negotiations, and providing trial monitoring and support.
- Assists Senior Counsel in coordinating with and monitoring activities of outside defense counsel in medical malpractice and other Health System-related litigation, including review of work product, and participation in internal case review meetings.
- Undertakes occasional direct defense of medical malpractice and other Health System-related litigation from pleadings through settlement or trial.
- Participates in setting of indemnity and expense reserves for medical malpractice litigation.
- Manages litigation-related issues including representation of physicians and hospital employees in depositions and other proceedings, coordinates responses to State Board inquiries as well as subpoenas and other requests for court appearances by, and the records of, Health System physicians and facilities, etc.
- Acts as a legal resource for Director of Risk Management, Risk Managers and Risk Management Analysts on various risk management related issues.
- Provides general legal advice to senior management, staff and employees of the Health System to protect the Health System from legal exposure and to maximize compliance with statutory, regulatory and case law requirements, including participation in daily rotation of requests for legal consultation, and night/weekend consult duty.
- Counsels physicians, house staff, medical students and nurses concerning involvement in matters with medical-legal implications.
- Provides legal support and advice to Health System committees as requested.
- Focuses on avoiding and/or resolving legal issues in a pragmatic and expeditious manner.
- Provides back-up and acts as information resource to other counsels, as requested.
- Lectures/teaches and provides educational in-services to management, clinical staff and others regarding legal issues related to medical malpractice, risk management and other health law matters.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Must have a minimum of ten years of litigation experience, with an emphasis on medical malpractice litigation. Experience in general health care law is desirable. Must be admitted and in good standing in Pennsylvania or other state bar; admission to Pennsylvania Bar is required within one year of appointment. This position requires strong critical thinking and strategic skills; excellent legal analysis and reasoning skills; proactive approach to problem solving; ability to be a team player; excellent attention to detail; impeccable oral and written communication skills; including negotiation skills; superior organizational skills; ability to handle multiple priorities in a dynamically fluid environment; and the ability to identify, frame and solve complex legal issues creatively and to convey advice clearly and effectively. Must be able to exercise initiative and independent judgment. Must have superior demonstrated organizational, planning, analytical, and communication skills. Must have a diplomatic, personable, responsive and practical approach to internal clients and to outside third parties. Teamwork and support of colleagues are essential. Must have excellent interpersonal skills.
Resume and cover letter is required. Please upload all required documents in the “Resume/CV” section of the application prior to submitting.
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
$108,411.00 - $205,981.00
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.