Work type: Continuing
Division/Faculty: Faculty of Veterinary and Agricultural Sciences
Department/School: Melbourne Veterinary School
Role & Superannuation rate: Professional - Full time - 17% super
Salary: UoM 5 - $71,816 - $82,488 p.a. or UoM 6 - $83,301 - $90,170 p.a., plus 17% superannuation
An exciting opportunity to join the team providing specialist histopathology services to U-Vet Animal Hospital and the Melbourne Veterinary School.
About the role
This role will provide expertise in histological and immunohistochemical techniques in a specialised veterinary histopathology laboratory providing services to the U-Vet hospital, Faculty staff and research groups within the Melbourne Veterinary School. This role includes coordination of laboratory resources as well as the timely production of superior quality diagnostic tissue sections.
- Relevant tertiary qualification in a relevant biological science discipline.
- Sound theoretical knowledge and relevant practical experience of histological techniques in a diagnostic or research laboratory setting.
- Demonstrated ability to learn and modify new techniques in tissue processing and staining.
- Well-developed attention to detail with proven ability to use judgement in interpreting results.
- Excellent organisational and time management skills with proven ability to work autonomously under limited supervision, manage competing deadlines and prioritise work.
- Relevant practical experience in effectively maintaining specimen archives and demonstrated understanding of good laboratory practice.
- Knowledge of and experience with regulations pertaining to environmental, health and safety, especially with respect to chemical hazard management and their application in a research and teaching laboratory setting.
- Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to work effectively as part of a team with staff and students across all levels internally, externally and from diverse backgrounds
In addition to those essential criteria shown above, the following criteria are required for UoM level 6:
- Demonstrated extensive experience in development of novel techniques that require experimentation and evaluation prior to routine application (e.g. immunohistochemistry; in situ hybridization etc).
- Demonstrated capacity to conduct and contribute to research under broad direction.
- Demonstrated specialised and technical expertise and ability to identify and troubleshoot complex technical problems, using independent judgement and initiative.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in the planning and execution of research projects; provision of technical advice and assistance to academic staff and postgraduate students.
- Demonstrated ability to provide assistance to (or supervision of) undergraduate and postgraduate research student projects as appropriate.
- Awareness and/or participation in national and international quality assurance programs.
For information to assist you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria, please go to: https://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/selection-criteria
Applications close: 27 Jan 2020 11:55 PM AUS Eastern Daylight Time