The Freeman Spogli Institute for International Studies (FSI) is Stanford University's primary interdisciplinary research and teaching institute on international policy and international affairs. FSI produces scholarship, teaches and trains future leaders and scholars in international studies, and informs and influences policy making around the world. Our community ranges broadly, consisting of esteemed alumni, world class faculty and students, dynamic staff and administrators and includes some of the world's most successful leaders in governance, security, international development and global health. Our work is not limited to the Stanford community; we convene leaders from all over the world for lectures, fellowships, and visiting scholar posts. At FSI, world-renowned political theorists and tech executives collaborate with doctors, former Cabinet members, nuclear physicists, economists, ambassadors and heads of state. In realizing our mission, our staff are critical to supporting our organization’s goals and enabling researchers from across campus and around the world to produce rigorous policy relevant research that addresses critical global issues.
The FSI finance team is seeking a Financial Analyst to help with the management of the Institute’s finances. Reporting to the Finance Manager, you will perform and support key finance functions working independently on various aspects of financial and budget management for FSI. Your finance work will include providing support for day-to-day activities and coordinating processes and reporting. This work will contribute to FSI’s financial planning and wellbeing. Are you capable and interested in performing essential functions and activities involved in Stanford finance, and able to independently assemble and analyze data for budgeting and decision making? Then help us to lead our Institute in financial excellence!
In this role, you will:
- Perform and design ad hoc analyses of large complex data sets: reconcile complex accounts. Identify and resolve complex issues which may span multiple areas.
- Construct and assemble data for budgeting and decision making; develop conclusions, and present high level summary of recommendations. May develop annual budget for individual department/unit.
- Conduct analysis and resolution, and recognize exceptions. Participate in developing solutions that may require policy changes or the development of new processes; maintain broader organizational perspective in decision making.
- Execute internal control programs established by management, research new regulations, and recommend and implement approved changes. May manage compliance program for area of responsibility, and create complex compliance reports.
- Develop reports and presentations of complex financial data and metrics for management and third parties.
- Participate as a member of a project team; support new initiatives. Make decisions determining approach to managing and completing processes.
- Contribute to unit and organization strategy; assist in the development of change management plans and materials as needed.
- Develop and maintain desktop procedures and process documentation for area of responsibility.
- Define requirements, develop and implement complex test cases, perform system testing and analyze results.
- Participate in critical analysis of existing systems and processes, and identify opportunities for process improvement.
- Provide consulting advice to client group(s); serve as a resource on matters that require specific technical, financial, or subject matter expertise; support negotiations with external partners.
- May supervise, train, coach, and review the work of other staff, as needed. Contribute primarily through applying individual expertise.
To be successful in this role, you will bring:
- Bachelor’s degree and four years of relevant experience or combination of education and relevant experience.
- Advanced proficiency in business applications, such as Microsoft Office suite, especially Excel.
- Demonstrated knowledge of financial systems; internet and computer literacy.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Strong communication skills, including ability to prepare materials for and clearly and effectively communicate information to internal and external audiences and client groups.
- Demonstrated project management skills and ability to contribute to or lead part of a multi-functional team.
In addition, preferred requirements include:
Stanford finance experience, including advanced proficiency with Oracle systems, Oracle Business Intelligence Reporting and Tidemark.
Why Stanford Is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more.
Other duties may also be assigned, not all unique aspects of this job are covered by this job posting. A full job description will be shared during the interview process.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job Code: 4452
Employee Status: Regular
Requisition ID: 85165