Director of Education
Administrative Services Administrator 4
Job Code: 4124
Job Grade: L
Join the rapidly growing Human-Centered Artificial Intelligence Initiative (“HAI” - hai.stanford.edu) at Stanford. The HAI team is seeking an experienced Director of Education to design and execute a comprehensive educational program in line with HAI’s mission to advance AI research, education, policy, and practice to benefit humanity.
The incumbent will recruit, develop, and manage a team working with Stanford faculty, fellows, researchers, and staff across disciplines to expand existing and develop new curricula and programs, and, where appropriate, to execute those programs, which will separately target multiple audiences, including Stanford students, faculty, and alumni, business executives, AI practitioners, doctors, lawyers, journalists, and policymakers from around the world. Programs will span residential, hybrid, custom, and distance learning and will employ best practices and appropriate technologies to promote learning and impact. Some programs will be executed outside of the Bay Area or internationally, and in some cases jointly with other institutes, governments, NGOs, or international organizations. The incumbent will also conduct market research to determine needs, assess the competitive landscape, and inform program design, and lead strategic communications and business development activities to attract diverse and global participants, and to generate income to support additional Institute programs and research.
The incumbent will also have responsibility for developing and managing HAI fellowship programs, which will be executed by the Institute or jointly with other centers on campus, including program design, budgeting, and recruiting; overseeing the selection process; developing seminar series and other educational programs for HAI fellows; and fostering community among HAI fellows dispersed across campus in other departments; and other related activities to advance the academic and intellectual life of fellows. The Director will develop new and manage existing summer programs and internships targeting high school students and Stanford and non-Stanford college students, with a particular focus on increasing inclusivity in the field of artificial intelligence.
In furtherance of the Institute’s objective of promoting real-world adoption of a human-centered approach to AI, the Director will cultivate and manage an engaged global network of alumni of HAI educational programs, seminars, and workshops, including by designing and implementing a distinctive educational experience.
A resume and cover letter is required for this position.
Direct programs or functions of university wide impact in consultation with senior leadership.
- Lead strategic planning and analysis for complex university programs or functions with significant business, regulatory and/or technical challenges requiring subject matter expertise. Manage and direct the development, implementation, administration and evaluation of programs or functions. Monitor trends and recommend programs or functions direction.
- Manage and direct the development, implementation, administration and evaluation of programs or functions. Monitor trends and recommend program or functions direction.
- Act as the subject matter expert for School/unit and/or the university regarding the interpretation, implementation and compliance with policies and regulations. Recommend actions and/or resolve complex issues that span organizational boundaries.
- Represent the program or function at the university level and/or to external/internal stakeholders and constituencies.
- Direct and manage outreach strategy that may include relationship development, communications, and compliance.
- Lead market research and analysis efforts. Guide organization to use the results in strategic marketing direction, product segmentation and customer targeting as related to HAI’s external educational mission.
- Oversee or supervise staff in the development and implementation of programs or functions.
- May develop and/or oversee budgets; manage finances including monitoring, analyzing, forecasting, and reporting.
* - Other duties may also be assigned
Education & Experience:
Bachelor’s degree and ten years of relevant experience, or combination of education and relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to influence and motivate constituencies which could span multiple organizational boundaries.
- Demonstrated excellent planning, organizational and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated ability to make sound business decisions using good business judgment and innovative and creative problem-solving.
- Demonstrated ability to manage financial, organizational and staff resources.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills with the ability to cultivate professional and business partnerships.
- Relevant subject matter expertise.
- Strong project planning and management skills.
- Experience in or knowledge of business process improvement methodology.
- Ability to act independently and as part of a team.
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Frequently stand/walk, sitting, grasp lightly/fine manipulation.
- Occasionally use a telephone.
- Rarely lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh 11-20 pounds.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University’s Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4124
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: L