As the oldest medical school in the western United States, the Stanford School of Medicine is devoted to training tomorrow's leading physicians and scientists, conducting leading-edge biomedical research, and creating new ways to prevent and treat disease across the world. We currently seek a proven financial professional to help support this important work.
Stanford University School of Medicine is seeking a Senior Financial Analyst to provide specialized expertise requiring technical finance knowledge to perform complex, technical finance functions, ranging from budget accruals and maintaining complex data models to developing, assessing and improving internal control and subject area systems.
- Perform highly analytical, complex finance and control functions; multi-dimensional and complex reconciliations and related analysis; prepare or review and approve complex transactions and higher level dollar value transactions.
- Research, and synthesize data for broad areas; develop complex financial analyses, budget and forecasting scenarios, long-range planning, and analyses. Perform root-cause analysis and synthesis, draw conclusions, and propose solutions.
- Develop complex financial reports and presentations, design and run ad hoc reports, and prepare or review complex transactions to support the stewardship of university resources. Provide consultation to senior leadership to interpret results
- Prioritize, identify, and resolve strategic and unit/department issues; recognize exceptions, recommend and develop resolutions and implement solution. Ensure effective and efficient delivery and integration of all financial services for area of responsibility.
- Design an effective system of internal controls for area of responsibility utilizing strategic analysis of interrelationships of financial processes, policies, and procedures; implement and ensure compliance programs.
- Lead multiple complex, high-visibility process innovation projects. Develop, champion and implement strategic initiatives with significant impact. Empower action, remove obstacles, enable constructive feedback and support from leaders, and reward and recognize progress and achievements.
- Develop, assess, and continuously improve systems and processes to achieve greater efficiencies and improve internal controls. Design and provide training on new financial systems.
- Analyze problems in business critical systems, and identify risks, solutions, and strategies; act as business owner of project.
- Represent organization to client group(s) and leaders: serve as subject matter expert on matters that involve complex technical, financial, or subject matter expertise.
- Assess client and business needs, and formulate recommendations to determine approach to managing and completing processes.
* - Other duties may also be assigned.
- Ability to interpret and apply advanced accounting knowledge within GAAP.
- Knowledge of Oracle/OBI or other business financial systems.
- Advanced analytical skills to review and analyze complex financial information.
- Understanding of fund accounting and the operations of a medical school are a plus.
- Prior people management experience.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
- Bachelor’s degree and eight years of relevant experience or combination of education and relevant experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- Expert proficiency in business applications, such as Microsoft Office suite, especially Excel.
- Advanced knowledge of Enterprise Resource Planning and financial systems; internet and computer literacy.
- Knowledge of GAAP.
- Advanced professional communication skills, including ability to prepare materials for and clearly and effectively communicate information to internal and external audiences, client groups, and all levels of management.
- Advanced project management skills and ability to lead large multi-functional teams.
- Constantly sitting.
- Frequently perform desk-based computer tasks, use telephone, writing by hand, sort/file paperwork.
- Occasionally stand/walk, lift/carry objects weighing 11-20 pounds.
- Rarely reach/work above shoulder.
*- Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
- Routine extended working hours during peak cycles; travel to school/unit sites across university.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors bases on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University’s Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4454
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: L