Full/Assist/Assoc Professor-College of Islamic Studies
The College of Islamic Studies (CIS) was established as a home for contemporary Islamic studies and to provide a unique platform for faculty and students to contribute to intellectual debates on Islam in a global context.
The College’s six graduate and postgraduate degree programs equip students with the training and skills required to pursue careers in academia and research, as well as cultural, business, and finance sectors. In addition, it also houses several distinguished research centers and clusters under the Research Division, bringing together scholars and thought leaders from around the world to foster interdisciplinary dialogue and scholarship.
At its very foundation, CIS combines solid academic Islamic grounding with contemporary social sciences in its curricula, teaching platforms, and the development of its students. CIS has instilled its every facet with collaboration, innovation, and scholarship.
HBKU’s CIS invites applications for a faculty positions in Islamic studies with a specific focus in Islamic law and society to begin in the academic year 2020-2021 at the rank of Associate, Assistant Professor, or Professor depending on qualifications, teaching, and research experience. Successful candidates will teach in the HBKU CIS MA in Islamic Studies program, contribute to its emerging research profile, and engage with stakeholders in Qatar and the region to address issues in Islamic law and society within the field of contemporary Islamic studies.
Required Qualifications, Skills, and Experience
- PhD or terminal degree from an accredited university that emphasizes applied modalities in the fields of Islamic law, Islamic legal theory, and the higher objectives of Shari’a, with specific relevance to the context of contemporary societies.
- Evidence of proficiency and success in teaching, student supervision, and curriculum and program development.
- Research and scholarly achievements judged competent and adequate for the relevant rank in comparison with peers active in the same field at a major research university.
- Significant national, regional, and international reputation in scholarly endeavors (funded research grants, publications, etc.) in comparison with peers active in the same field at a major research university.
- Ability to work with and lead diverse groups, cultures, and communities.
- Evidence of significant national, regional, and international networks and collaborations in both teaching and research activities.
- Bilingual proficiency in Arabic and English is essential.
Other Required Qualification
HBKU College of Islamic Studies invites candidates across all areas of Islamic law and legal theory, and is especially interested in candidates with expertise in the following:
- Non-textual Legal Sources
- Fatwa, Family and Society
- The Social and Political Systems and Institutions of Islam
- Islamic Law, Politics and the State
- Social Justice, Charity and Development
- The Higher Objectives of Sharia and Public Interest
- Novel Legal Issues
The College is particularly interested in candidates who demonstrate the ability to combine global perspectives with local, national and regional concerns.
The candidate would be expected to teach both introductory and specialized courses, and to participate in the intellectual life of a talented, vibrant and unique academic community. Candidates should have a superior academic record, with demonstrable evidence of, or a strong potential for, excellence and innovation in teaching, scholarly research and service.
All candidates are required to contribute, through teaching, research and service, to HBKU becoming a world-class research university. They are expected to collaborate with other faculty members and students to create a vibrant university community.
How to apply Candidates should submit their complete application that includes: a cover letter, curriculum vitae, teaching statement (no more than one page), research statement (no more than four pages), and names of thee references (who will not be contacted without consent of the applicant) on the following link: Click here to apply.
Deadline The positions will remain open until filled and shortlisted candidates will be called for interview. The successful candidate must be ready to start in Fall 2020.
Remuneration HBKU offers an attractive compensation package that includes a tax-free salary and additional benefits such as housing & transportation allowances, children educational assistance, annual paid leave, airfares, and medical insurance etc.
HBKU, as an equal opportunity educator and employer, is committed to maintaining culturally and academically diverse staff of the highest calibre.
More searches like this
- Permanent Languages, Literature & Linguistics Academic Posts jobs in Qatar
- Permanent Languages, Literature & Linguistics Professors / Chairs jobs in Qatar
- Permanent Languages, Literature & Linguistics Principal / Senior Lecturers / Associate Professors jobs in Qatar
- Permanent Languages, Literature & Linguistics Lecturers / Assistant Professors jobs in Qatar