The Data Engineer is responsible for the design, development and maintenance of the data streaming pipeline (ETL) that populates the Universities data marts and supports the ongoing construction of the University’s Data Warehouse. As part of the wider Reporting and Analytics team, the incumbent partners with the Technical Architect to make strategic decisions that influence the data warehouse architecture and modelling for the provision of business insight.
The Data Engineer provides guidance and expertise in the end-to-end deployment of predictive models including scoping, testing, implementation, maintenance, tracking and optimisation.
The incumbent liaises closely with key stakeholders, the Technology Solutions Directorate and the external product vendors to ensure design and development meets business requirements and objectives.
Division of Services and Resources
The Division of Services and Resources comprises a number of Directorates and Offices, including Financial and Business Services, Estate, Human Resources, Planning, Performance and Analytics, Technology Solutions and the Health, Safety and Environment Unit, whose activities foster and promote innovation and best practice in the delivery of its services and provide the frameworks and support to assist the Academy and Service Divisions achieve their goals and objectives.
The Division is responsible for overall strategy in relation to: planning, performance and budgeting framework; strategic procurement; financial and human resources; ICT services; business intelligence and statistical reporting; strategic commercial activities, including in relation to the Controlled Entities, the Discovery Rise project and Retail outlets; policy framework; capital infrastructure planning and maintenance and delivery of capital projects for ICT and the Estate; health and safety management and compliance; provision of campus services including cleaning, grounds maintenance, security and student accommodation.
The Division has a strong customer service ethic and continuous improvement culture. We are receptive to new ideas and ways in which we can enhance our delivery of services for the University.
Planning, Performance and Analytics Directorate
The Planning, Performance and Analytics Directorate is a key resource to the senior management of the University, providing accurate and timely management information, business insight and analytics to support evidence-based decision making. The Directorate is the key contact for the University’s relationship with TEQSA, and the coordination of compliance with TEQSA’s Threshold Standards. The Directorate has oversight of the University’s quality framework and process improvement activities, management of the University’s planning and performance measurement processes, and policy library.
James Cook University
- ManagetheendtoendETLdesignincluding:acquiringknowledgeofsourcesystems;populating data marts;development of data streaming processes;documenting;and version control of source code.
- Analyse business needs, customer requirements and change requests and translate those into technical designs and functional specifications.
- Provide high level liaison with stake holders to gather and interpret relevant data and other related material for ETL to the data warehouse and ensure continued accuracy and integrity of that data through proper analysis, coding and documentation.
- Pro actively identify and analyse change management issues and risks with,orto, the ETL design,todevelopappropriateresponsesbymaintainingtheaccuracyandintegrityofdata.
- Conduct training needs analysis and preparing as well as delivering training and/orotheruserreadinessinitiativesthatsupporttheETLimplementationandongoingsystemsupport.
- Work collaboratively with Technology Solutions, Business Intelligence team members,as well as other business experts and process owners by ensuring that the end-to-end ETL designs are adapted to meet business and customer requirements.
- Provide direction and guidance to team members in the design and development of ETL functionality through effective mentorship in the development of skills with in the Oracle SQL framework.
- Support the University's commitment to the principles of reconciliation,whichexemplifyrespectforAboriginalandTorresStraitIslanderheritageandthevaluingofjusticeandequityforallAustralians.
There are generic responsibilities that apply to all James Cook University staff. Your specific level descriptor can be found within the Enterprise Agreement.
There are generic responsibilities that apply to all James Cook University staff.
- The Data Engineer is required to observe the lawful and reasonable directions, policies and decisions of the University Council, understand and comply with the Enterprise Agreement, the Statutes and Rules of the University, the policies and decisions of the University Council and other appropriate University authorities, as in force from time to time.
- The Data Engineer is required to demonstrate a personal commitment to ensure personal safety and the safety of others and contribute to the continuous improvement of our WHS performance. This includes the effective implementation and compliance with James Cook University WHS policies, procedures and safe systems of work, together with all relevant legislation, duties and obligations. Contribute to the continuous improvement of our WHS performance.
- The Data Engineer is required to exercise proper discretion in all matters affecting the well-being of the University which involve public writing or speaking in accordance with the University’s Code of Conduct.
Selection and appointments will be assessed against selection criteria.
- Degree qualification in Information Systems, Computer Science or Information Technology and extensive relevant experience of programming languages and ancillary technologies required for ETL processing or an equivalent combination of experience and/or education and/or training.
- Extensive experience developing with SQL specifically in Oracle as well as experience with Python and Unix in combination with a ccomprehensive understanding of database design concepts - Transactional / Data mart / Data warehouse etc.
- Experience in major corporate systems and data streaming processes that underpin the provision business intelligence with high level analytical and problem-solving skills as well as a capacity for innovation in dealing with complex systems, processes and procedural issues with a track record of customer service excellence and the promotion of a continuous improvement culture.
- Proven ability to work both autonomously and collaboratively within a team with demonstrated time management skills to meet critical deadlines providing minimal guidance to achieve collective results and successful outcomes.
- Proven ability to mentor or guide staff in the acquisition of skills and aid professional development in data-warehousing systems, ETL processes.
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills including proven experience working with key stakeholders to analyse business logic and re-design processes where necessary with the ability to communicate IT issues to non-expert audiences and the preparation of reports.
- Experience with database/data warehouse/ETL tuning and optimisation.
- Knowledge of, or experience in, data streaming technologies.