Assistant Professor in Education, Teagasc na Gaeilge
DCU Institute of Education
School of Language, Literacy and Early Childhood Education
3 year Fixed Term Contract
The School of Language, Literacy and Early Childhood Education is seeking to recruit an Assistant Professor to work collaboratively as a member of the Teagasc na Gaeilge team.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Teaching and Learning
The successful candidate will be required to contribute significantly to the development, teaching, assessment and administration across a range of undergraduate and postgraduate programs at primary and post-primary levels.
- To include module design and delivery,
- Supporting and evaluating students on school placements visits and writing reports,
- Contribute to the design, development, and management of future programmes and other developments in the field of Teagasc na Gaeilge,
- Work closely with colleagues in the School and Faculty to promote the integration of Irish across programmes,
- Supervise undergraduate and postgraduate theses,
- Visit students on Gaeltacht placements,
- Contribute to tutorials and to the wider teaching of the Institute as required by the Head of School.
Research and Scholarship
The successful candidate will be committed to high-quality research and publication in the field of Teagasc na Gaeilge on an individual and a collaborative basis.
- The successful candidate will be expected to be research-actively in their field and in the general field of teacher education,
- Develop and support research initiatives with the School of Language, Literacy and Early Childhood Education; in SEALBHÚ: DCU Research Centre for the Learning and Teaching of Irish; and the wider faculty,
- Contribute to the scholarship and intellectual life of the University, contributing to the development of the DCU Institute of Education’s research agenda.
Service and Contribution to University and Society
Activities will be defined by the Head of School may include:
- Participating in school and university meetings,
- Engaging in meetings related to programmes,
- Representing the School in marketing and recruitment of students,
- The appointee will be expected to be active in organisation of seminars and conferences and in developing relationships with stakeholders across the University and in the education sector more generally.
The successful candidate will also undertake administrative functions related to the activities of the School of Language, Literacy and Early Childhood Education.
Qualifications and Experience
This position is open to candidates who meet the following criteria:
- A strong background in language learning, curriculum and pedagogy in relation to Teagasc na Gaeilge,
- A minimum of three years’ relevant teaching experience at primary/post-primary level,
- A post-graduate qualification preferably at doctoral level, in Education in areas related to Teagasc na Gaeilge,
- Excellent Irish language skills is essential,
- Experience in teacher education is highly desirable,
- Strong interpersonal and collaborative skills,
- Excellent administrative and organisation skills,
- Capacity to integrate ICT into the teaching of Teagasc na Gaeilge.
Please Note: The position is subject to the candidate being Garda Vetted.
The postholder will be required to undertake the following mandatory compliance training: Orientation, Health & Safety and Data Protection (GDPR). Other training may need to be undertaken when appropriate.
Dublin City University is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to promoting gender equality reflected in its attainment of the Athena SWAN Bronze Award. Information on a range of university policies aimed at creating a supportive and flexible work environment are available at www4.dcu.ie/policies/policy-starter-packs.shtml.