Lecturer in Mechanical Engineering Design
FULL-TIME LECTURER IN MECHANICAL ENGINEERING DESIGN
The Vietnamese-German University (VGU) is a Vietnamese state university. Founded in 2008, VGU is a joint venture based on a close cooperation between the Federal Republic of Germany and the Socialist Republic of Vietnam, with the goal of becoming the leading research university in Vietnam and the region. VGU´s strategy is to customize excellent German study programs in the fields of engineering, natural sciences and economics to meet the needs of Vietnamese higher education. VGU follows the successful German model and standards concerning the academic and administrative structures.
The Vietnamese-German University (VGU) is seeking 01 highly qualified full-time lecturer in Mechanical Engineering Design. Candidates must hold a PhD in this field or a closely related field and have a strong background in research. Successful candidate will become part of an international network of universities and research institutes.
In the role of a lecturer, the successful candidate will teach undergraduate courses in the program Mechanical Engineering (ME) and graduate courses in the program Global Production Engineering & Management (GPEM). The expected workload for the in-class lecture conduction is 240 academic hours per year (1 academic hour equals to 45 minutes).
Teaching should reflect current research methods and results, and comprises lectures on the following modules:
- Mechanical Engineering Design and Integrated Design Engineering for undergraduate students in ME, including the design and calculation of Machine Elements as well as the design, calculation and drawings of fully functional machine assemblies. Lectures will also include the Engineering Design Process (Conceptual, Embodiment, Detail and Robust Design with Evaluation of Design Variants), as well as Quality Function Development (QFD) and Computer Aided Design (CAD).
- For graduate students in GPEM teaching comprises lectures in CAD modelling and collaboration in Engineering Design, including Fundamentals of Engineering Design: function, layout, design, manufacture, and assembly; Fundamentals of Machine Elements: use and function; durability of machine elements: load, stress, strain; technical drawing, tolerances and fits, materials for engineering design; the concepts and applications of design involving risk, reliability, and safety; main phases of the Engineering Design Process; Design of experiments and robust design.
Named courses are subject to change upon realistic needs of the programs. Each course requires conducting relevant laboratory activities and/or advising student projects. Lecturers are welcome to propose elective courses within his/her expertise and in in consultation with the Faculty and the relevant German partner universities here: Ruhr-University Bochum and Otto-von-Guericke-University Magdeburg
This position is also responsible for supervising bachelor’s and master’s theses and mentoring PhD students.
As a faculty member of a research-oriented university, the successful candidate is expected to significantly contribute to the scientific profile of VGU through innovative. This includes and is not limited to comprehensive activities in theoretical research as well as applied research in the fields of such as mechanics, machine elements, product development and design, manufacturing technology and industrial design. The ability to apply and generate externally funded research projects is highly desirable.
Candidates must hold a PhD in Mechanical Engineering Design or a closely related field, preferably from a well-known international university. Experience and understanding of the German higher education system and methodology are highly appreciated. Other requirements include:
- An outstanding academic record with a focus on Mechanical Engineering Design or other areas closely related to it
- Proven expertise in using at least one CAD/CAE/CAM system (Siemens NX is preferred)
- Strong track record of successful research activities and publications in international and peer-reviewed journals in the related area
- Proven teaching experience with strong self-motivation combined with a passion for teaching and research
- Relevant industry experience
- Proven excellent English proficiency
To find out more about our employment benefits, as well as our application requirements and process, please visit our web page for recruitment: https://vgu.edu.vn/lecturers.