Research and Teaching Assistant in Computer Science
Research and Teaching Assistant in Computer Science - research in networks, network management
We are looking for Research and Teaching Assistants in Computer Science with a good academic background and solid experience in computer science, interested in doing applied research together with partners from industry and academia with the possibility of doing a PhD in this field. The main objective of the job is to participate in joint projects with partners from industry and academia, to conduct academically relevant research in the project and to collaborate with the project partners under the guidance of VGU’s faculty. This position also involves to be a teaching assistant for applied undergraduate courses in VGU’s computer science-related curricula.
The responsibilities of the position will include, but are not limited to:
- Conducting research activities (50%): conducting research in networks, network management and modern methods for network surveillance and analysis, including AI and Machine Learning. The candidate works together with our partners from industry and academia under the supervision of VGU’s faculty in a joint research project. The candidate is expected to make relevant research contributions, collaborate with the project partners, and to deliver practical innovations for our industry partners. Besides publishing scientific papers and attending national or international conferences, the candidate may also participate in the organization of conferences. The scientific results should be the basis for further PhD studies.
- Conducting teaching activities (30%): supporting lectures for courses in VGU’s computer science-related curricula by preparing and giving exercises and serving as first contact for students' questions for the named courses.
- Support for Administration (20%): supporting the coordination and management of the Bachelor program in Computer Science. This will involve setting up and maintaining IT services, assisting in maintaining and installing labs equipment, writing administrative proposals or forms, attending administrative meetings on behalf of the CS program coordinator, cooperating with other teaching assistants and lab engineers in supporting administrative processes for the program.
- Master degree in computer science
- Excellent presentation, writing and communication skills in English
- Good knowledge and profound experience in computer science
- Willingness to familiarize with and eventually become an expert an area of computer science relevant for VGU and its partners and to conduct research in this area.
- Good skills in software development, preferably in Python and/or Java
- Knowledge in system administration, particularly in Unix environments
- Good knowledge in TCP/IP networks, knowledge in network management is a plus
- Willingness to work together with industry
- Competence in project management, experience in agile project management is a plus
- Ability to instruct employees and provide professional support to students
- Enjoyment in problem modeling and solving complex questions
- You are proactive, show team spirit and creativity
To apply please send your application (with the following documents in a PDF or MS Word DOC format, max. size: 5 MB) to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line "RTA in Computer Science_[Your Name]"
Your application should include:
- Form for basic information (Please download, complete this form electronically and submit it together with your application)
- A cover letter stating your interest in joining VGU
- Curriculum Vitae
- Scans of university degrees, university transcripts and other relevant certificates
- Scans of language certificates (if applicable)
- References illustrating your professional and academic career, including contact details of references (if available, highly appreciated)
All applications will be reviewed and evaluated by VGU's international Application Review Team.
The review of applications will continue until the position is filled.