Chemistry Laboratories Manager
Department: School of Biological & Chemical Sciences
Salary: £38,084 - £44,807 (Grade 5)
Location: Mile End
Closing date: 12-Dec-2019
The Department of Chemistry is part of the School of Biological and Chemical Sciences (SBCS) within Queen Mary University of London (QMUL) and it has a vibrant community of students and researchers. The Department is based in the Joseph Priestley Building, where teaching and research laboratories are housed, together with a number of facilities such as NMR, Mass spec Laboratory, Cryo EM and the Analytical Facilities laboratory.
Applications are sought for an outstanding individual to be appointed as Chemistry Laboratories Manager. This is a varied role where the successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Operational leadership and day to day management of technical and facility staff within the Chemistry Department.
- Leading on Health and Safety for the Joseph Priestley building, which houses Chemistry and some Biochemistry activities, to maintain and promote a positive and compliant safety culture.
- Liaising with academic and technical staff, researchers, building managers and relevant people and committees at School and College level to ensure the laboratories and their equipment continue to be world class places for research and education.
Candidates must have a relevant Bachelors degree (or equivalent) in one of the Chemical Sciences. Candidates with higher degrees, additional vocational qualifications and relevant technical training in laboratory management and health & safety are particularly encouraged to apply. The successful candidate will have:
- Experience of supervising or line managing people within a chemical/technical environment, with an ability to provide good leadership.
- Knowledge and management experience in maintaining Health & Safety and COSHH compliance within a chemical/biochemical laboratory.
- Proven analytical, problem solving, numerical, planning, organisational and interpersonal skills used to identify and manage potential problems and opportunities effectively.
The post is permanent and full time, ideally with a January/February 2020 start date. The salary will be in the range of £38,084 - £44,807 per annum. Benefits include 30 days annual leave, pension scheme and interest-free season ticket loan.
Candidates must be able to demonstrate their eligibility to work in the UK in accordance with the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006. Where required this may include entry clearance or continued leave to remain under the Points Based Immigration Scheme.
For further information about the School, please see www.sbcs.qmul.ac.uk.
To apply, please click the link below.
Informal enquiries may be directed to the Head of Department, Prof Marina Resmini firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line as ‘Chemistry Laboratories Manager’
The closing date for applications is 12 December 2019. Interviews are expected to be held shortly thereafter.
Valuing Diversity and Committed to Equality