Lecturer: Setswana Language Education and Literacies in Education
FACULTY OF EDUCATION
DEPARTMENT OF HUMANITIES EDUCATION
LECTURER: SETSWANA LANGUAGE EDUCATION AND LITERACIES IN EDUCATION
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The incumbent will be responsible for:
- Offering Education programmes in the BEd undergraduate, PGCE and Honours programmes focusing on, but not limited to, Setswana Language Education and Literacies in Education;
- Providing postgraduate supervision;
- Assisting with assessment of teaching practice;
- Conducting research in the language and literacy focus areas of the Department.
- Master’s degree in Setswana or a clearly related field;
- Three years’ teaching experience in a Setswana Language at school level and/or higher education level;
- Evidence of development of modules or programmes in Setswana Language Education;
- Formative and summative assessment experience;
- Registration with SACE.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Ability to engage in teaching and learning at a higher education level;
- Appropriate language and communication skills;
- Thorough understanding of the CAPS and how it is implemented in Education;
- A thorough understanding of Setswana Language Education;
- Ability to initiate and supervise research at postgraduate level;
- Ability to work in a community of scholars;
- Computer literacy;
- Value-based and value-driven person with the ability to set a professional example to students.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- PhD in Setswana or a clearly related field;
- Experience in teaching practice assessment or mentoring;
- Experience in teaching Setswana at a third-year undergraduate level and as language methodology endorsement in professional teacher education qualification;
- Evidence of research activeness over the past two years, particularly in terms of research outputs;
- Ability to co-ordinate or manage programme delivery.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za, and follow the link: Careers@UP.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact;
- Names and contact details of peer reviewers (academic and research);
- SACE registration certificate.
CLOSING DATE: 15 December 2019
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
Ms Mandy Moropa, Tel: (012) 420 2966 for application-related enquiries, and Prof Johan Wassermann, Tel: (012) 420 4447 for enquiries relating to the post content.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 March 2020, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.