Lunds universitet, MAX IV, MX group
Lund University was founded in 1666 and is repeatedly ranked among the world’s top 100 universities. The University has 40 000 students and 7 600 staff based in Lund, Helsingborg and Malmö. We are united in our efforts to understand, explain and improve our world and the human condition.
MAX IV is a Swedish national large-scale research laboratory hosted by Lund University. It provides scientists from Sweden as well as internationally, with state-of-the-art instrumentation for research in areas such as engineering, physics, structural biology, chemistry and nanotechnology. Fully developed it will receive more than 2 000 scientists annually, conducting ground-breaking experiments in materials and life sciences using the brilliant X-ray light. As a national laboratory, MAX IV is operated in agreement with governmental regulations, and in compliance with major funders such as the Swedish Research Council (VR) and the Wallenberg Foundation. 250 people are currently employed at MAX IV Laboratory, and 16 beamlines are funded. The facility is in a ramp-up phase with 3 beamlines now receiving users and 13 more scheduled to be commissioned and built to receive users within the next few years. The facility is dimensioned for 25-28 beamlines. The MX-group is looking for a structural biology expert, with a strong interest in operating complex scientific instrumentation of the BioMAX beamline and supporting our international academic and industrial user communities.
BioMAX is the first operational beamline for macromolecular crystallography at MAX IV, which runs within the MAX IV user program for the last 3 years. The beamline comprises a state-of-the-art installation with high performance x-ray transport and control systems, goniometry, x-ray detectors and a cryogenic sample changer (See also: http://www.maxiv.se/biomax).
The beamline is operated by the international and interdisciplinary BioMAX-team, which is part of the MX-group. Within this group we are also developing jointly a new beamlines project: MicroMAX, a serial crystallography beamline for studying protein dynamics and the FragMAX project, which is aiming to develop and operate a crystallographic fragment screening facility at MAX IV.
This position offers ample possibilities to exploit the beamline capabilities and to contribute to the support of complex research tasks of the growing user communities. Due to the broad spectrum of activities, this position is ideal to develop a related portfolio of expertise and knowledge by the candidate.
- Beam line operation, in close cooperation with the team of scientists and engineers of the MX-group and MAX IV
- Regular scientific and technical support of external users during their beamtime
- Regular beamline commissioning tasks
- Contribute to the on-going in-house research program in regard to fragment-based screening or serial crystallography
- PhD or Master university degree in structural biology or natural sciences in subjects of relevance for BioMAX
- Demonstrated experiences in carrying out structural biology projects using macromolecular crystallography
- Proven ability to cooperate well within a team
- Excellent command in written and spoken English
- A demonstrated ability to work independently
- Significant experiences in operating complex instrumentation projects at all stages
Additionally, desirable qualifications:
- Experience in the use of synchrotron radiation MX-beamlines
- Experiences in ligand screening, especially fragment screening
- Experiences in serial crystallography methods
- Interest and experience in scientific use of techniques of interest for BioMAX (i.e. experiments, data analysis, publication and presentation of results)
MAX IV operates 24/7 and you will be part in on-call service of the MX-group for user support, including weekends and bank holidays in accordance to the working hour regulation.
This is a one year temporary postion.
On call services may apply in the future.
Lund University welcomes applicants with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We regard gender equality and diversity as a strength and an asset. We kindly decline all sales and marketing contacts.
To apply, please click the button "Login and apply"
Type of employment Temporary position longer than 6 months
Contract type Full time First day of employment As agreed
Salary Monthly salary
Number of positions 1
Working hours 100
Contact Uwe Müller, 0462229872 Union representative OFR/ST:Fackförbundet ST:s kansli, 046-222 93 62 SACO:Saco-s-rådet vid Lunds universitet, 046-222 93 64
Last application date 25.Nov.2019 11:59 PM CET