Postdoctoral fellow in coherent entomological lidar engineering
Lund University was founded in 1666 and is repeatedly ranked among the world’s top 100 universities. The University has 40 000 students and 7 600 staff based in Lund, Helsingborg and Malmö. We are united in our efforts to understand, explain and improve our world and the human condition.
LTH forms the Faculty of Engineering at Lund University, with approximately 9 000 students. The research carried out at LTH is of a high international standard and we are continuously developing our teaching methods and adapting our courses to current needs. The Department of Physics is with a staff of about 350 scientists and educators one of the largest departments within Lund University. There are seven research divisions and a number of research centra within the department. The research activities at the department cover a broad spectrum of modern physics. www.fysik.lu.se/english.
Are you determined to bring cutting-edge entomological lidar technology to real use in field conditions for the better of humankind? Do you possess rigid craftsmanship skills in laser systems to create the frontier of coherent entomological lidar? Do you have a high sense of attention to details and militaristic discipline to ensure that your implementations are deployed smoothly and timely to provide revolutionary contributions in an interdisciplinary team of physicists, engineers and entomologists?
Enoch Thulin laboratory has over the last decade developed measurement- and laser radar techniques for surveillance of flying insects in field. The applications include mapping of pests in the landscape and assessment of the biodiversity. We now aim to improve detection range, accomplish remote assessment of nanoscopic features and flatten entomological targets by coherent lidar methods. The interdisciplinary project combines remote sensing with optical investigations from laboratory and ecological applications. Read more about us: http://www.llc.lu.se/research-fields/research-fields/environmental-monitoring/
The main duties involved in a post-doctoral posistion is to conduct research. Teaching may also be included, but up to no more than 20% of working hours. The position shall include the opportunity for three weeks of training in higher education teaching and learning.
Detailed description of the work duties, such as:
- Research within coherent entomological lidar engineering art.
- Develop novel coherent entomological lidar hardware for field deployment: - Polarimatric kHz lidar - Hyperspectral lidar - Infrared lidar
- Plan and prepare field campaigns, test, calibrate and report on coherent entomological lidar methodology.
- In charge of risk assessment, laser safety and aviation regulations.
- Teaching in the first, second and third cycles of studies.
- Supervision of degree projects and doctoral students.
- Actively seeking external research funding.
- Collaboration with industry and wider society.
- Administration related to the work duties listed above.
Appointment to a post-doctoral position requires that the applicant has a PhD, or an international degree deemed equivalent to a PhD, within the subject of the position, completed no more than three years before the last date for applications. Under special circumstances, the doctoral degree can have been completed earlier.
- Very good oral and written proficiency in English and scientific writing.
- Phd in Engineering Physics, Optics, Photonics, Remote Sensing, Electrical engineering or equivalent.
- Documented hand-on experience from PhD or Research in atmospheric lidar, laser remote sensing or stand-off detection.
- Experience with basic electronic and mechanic operations (CAD, PCB, milling and soldering).
- Knowledge in laser radiation safety and laser-aviation regulations.
- Documented experience of planning and carrying out lidar field campaigns independently.
- Assessment criteria and other qualifications This is a career development position primarily focused on research.
The position is intended as an initial step in a career, and the assessment of the applicants will primarily be based on their research qualifications and potential as researchers. Particular emphasis will be placed on research skills within the subject.
For appointments to a post-doctoral position, the following shall form the assessment criteria:
- A good ability to develop and conduct high quality research.
- Teaching skills.
Additional assessment criteria:
- Experience with laser diodes.
- Experience with fiber lasers or supercontinuum laser.
- Experience with infrared photonics.
- Experience with coherent or heterodyne lidar.
- Experient on flat lidar targets.
- Experience with polarimetrics.
- Experience with hyperspectral imaging.
- Good understanding for integrating technology and colabroating with scientists from other fields such as physics and biology.
- Consideration will also be given to good collaborative skills, drive and independence, and how the applicant’s experience and skills complement and strengthen ongoing research within the department, and how they stand to contribute to its future development.
Terms of employment
This is a full-time, fixed-term employment of a maximum of 2 years. The period of employment is determined in accordance with the agreement “Avtal om tidsbegränsad anställning som postdoktor” (“Agreement on fixed-term employment as a post-doctoral fellow”) between Lund University, SACO-S, OFR/S and SEKO, dated 4 September 2008.
Instructions on how to apply
Applications shall be written in English. Please draw up the application in accordance with LTH’s Academic qualifications portfolio – see link below. Upload the application as PDF-files in the recruitment system. Read more: http://www.lth.se/english/working-at-lth/to-apply-for-academic-positions-at-lth/
Lund University welcomes applicants with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We regard gender equality and diversity as a strength and an asset. We kindly decline all sales and marketing contacts.
To apply, please click the button "Login and apply"
Type of employment Temporary position longer than 6 months
Contract type Full time First day of employment 2020-02-01
Salary Monthly Number of positions 1
Working hours 100
Contact Mikkel Brydegaard, Associate senior lecturer, 046-2227656, firstname.lastname@example.org
Union representative OFR/ST:Fackförbundet ST:s kansli, 046-222 93 62 SACO:Saco-s-rådet vid Lunds universitet, 046-222 93 64
Last application date 25.Nov.2019 11:59 PM CET