Postdoc, College of Science and Engineering
Hamad Bin Khalifa University (HBKU), a member of Qatar Foundation for Education, Science, and Community Development (QF), founded in 2010 continues fulfilling QF’s vision of unlocking human potential. HBKU is an emerging research University that acts as a catalyst for transformative change in Qatar and the region while having global impact.
The College of Science and Engineering (CSE) aims to be a world-class multidisciplinary college with significant positive impact on Qatar, the region, and globally, in the fields of science, engineering, and technology.
To contribute to the research of the Principal Investigator (PI) on a defined project as a trainee researcher.
Key Result Areas:
- Conduct research under supervision, either as a member of a team under the direct supervision of the PI, or where appropriate, semi-independently, in a way that contributes to a defined area of research under the general direction of the PI.
- Perform day-to-day experimental activities, and ensure proper and accurate documentation for future referencing.
- Collect and analyze data to achieve the greatest benefit from conducted analysts.
- Develop and design prototypes utilizing appropriate tools, methodologies and techniques to achieve the required results of the project/ research.
- Prepare presentations related to research activities intended for the cross-functional teams, Pls, and others as appropriate.
- Assist faculty and Pls in supervising Master’s and PhD students in relevant labs and for theses.
- Participate in the preparation of experiments, laboratory and research procedures to ensure that they are aligned with the objectives of the PI and the lab.
- Work with Lab Managers to ensure appropriate records and documentation of research experiments, samples and specimens examined are maintained and regularly updated to ensure the accuracy of laboratory reports and compliance with national regulatory requirements as well as international best practices.
- Collaborate with Lab Managers to ensure a safe and healthy laboratory environment in compliance with national regulatory requirements and international best practices.
- Monitor and keep abreast of technological and scientific developments.
- Develop and maintain networks within the national and International research community to increase knowledge and research skills and to enhance the reputation of HBKU research.
- Other reasonable tasks as assigned by the PI.
Operating Environment, Framework & Boundaries:
Work is performed in a standard office environment according to PI instructions, all relevant regulatory/best practice requirements and protocols.
Problem Solving & Complexity:
- Evaluates, compares and relates information from across the business.
- Identifies broader implications of proposed solutions across the organization.
- Uses own experience and evidence from theory, other industries and technologies to identify problems and understand situations.
- Reviews existing policy to enable effective problem solving and judgement by the team.
Decision-Making Authority & Responsibility:
- Exhibits sound judgment to anticipate potential implications of all decisions; balances benefits and risks and Identifies areas of uncertainty.
- Evaluates information by penetrating questions, thus ensuring complete information is available to make an informed decision.
- Arrives at well-researched decisions that balance quality service and cost.
- Encourages and supports appropriate risk taking by subordinates when making decisions.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- Education: PhD in a field relevant to the conducted research.
- Experience: Minimum one year work experience in a research institution on a related subject.
- Specific skills: Excellent writing skills, with the ability to draft and edit a variety of written reports and communications. Articulate ideas clearly and concisely. Proficiency in Arabic is a plus.
- Proficiency in MS office applications and in the technology of common equipment found in relevant labs.
Extra Skills Required:
Computational Intelligence in Decision Sciences and Risk Management
The research area comprises of leveraging the capabilities of advanced algorithms developed in the field of machine learning and artificial intelligence research. It is aimed to address complex prediction, forecasting and risk management for decision-making problems to meet integrated objectives of efficiency, cost effectiveness and environmental performance of energy, water and food systems, logistics and supply chains.
We are seeking to appoint a talented researcher for a full-time position of Post Doctoral Fellow with an essential requirement of PhD in any of computer science chemical, mechanical or electrical/electronics engineering. Suitably qualified applicants will have demonstrated relevant experience in applied machine learning, and/or deep learning models, reinforcement learning, time series analysis and stochastic processes using recommended libraries in Matlab, Python and/or R, or any other suitable modelling software. Experience with parallel computing, high performance computing (HPC) or GPU programming is an added advantage.
Process Systems Engineering
We are seeking to appoint a talented researcher for a full-time Post-Doctoral position with a process system engineering background with an essential requirement of PhD in chemical or mechanical engineering.
Suitably qualified applicants will have demonstrated relevant experience in any of lifecycle assessment, process design/multi-generation, optimization techniques, machine learning and data analytics using commercial or open source software. In addition, experience with process simulation and programming tools such as Aspen, Matlab, Python or R is also desirable.
How To Apply:
To apply, please e-mail a cover letter explaining your interest in the position, a strategic statement of research interests, a statement of teaching interests, and your curriculum vita, click here to apply
Additional documents may be solicited from short-listed candidates.
Review of applicants will begin immediately. The posting is expected to remain open until positions are filled.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Shortlisted candidates will be called for interviews.
HBKU offers an attractive compensation package that includes a tax-free salary and additional benefits such as an education allowance, furnished accommodation, annual paid leave, air tickets and medical insurance.
Hamad Bin Khalifa University, being an equal opportunity educator and employer, is committed to maintaining culturally and academically diverse staff of the highest caliber.