Director of Translation and Interpreting Studies
Hamad Bin Khalifa University (HBKU), a member of Qatar Foundation for Education, Science, and Community Development (QF), was founded in 2010 to continue fulfilling QF’s vision of unlocking human potential. HBKU is an emerging research university that acts as a catalyst for positive change in Qatar and the region while having a global impact.
To monitor and manage the full range of master’s and doctoral degrees, ensuring alignment with all approved objectives and targets to achieve growth, efficiency, effectiveness and the College's overall vision and mission.
Key Result Areas:
- Set the overall strategy and direction of the master’s programs in coordination with the Dean of the College
- Play a main role in student recruitment and outreach activities by attending local and regional events, class visits, fairs, as well as HBKU and CHSS events hosted on campus
- Lead the academic presentations, activities, and sessions planned during New Student Orientation
- Oversee the department's committees including, but not limited to, the Validation Committee and Faculty Hiring Committee
- Prepare the business plan and annual budget for the master’s programs in line with HBKU guidelines in order to meet the overall objectives of CHSS and HBKU
- Develop curricula for the master’s programs in coordination with CHSS Curriculum Committee as well as the program coordinators of the relevant programs, and advise on course offerings
- Set course sequencing and scheduling, ensuring that it meets all the standards and guidelines of the Academic Program
- Supervise master’s students and PhD students
- Participate in the selection and testing of potential students, ensuring that they meet the requirements for admission
- Update the Student Handbook on an annual basis, and hand over the final version to the marketing team for printing
- Develop and maintain the Department's reputation amongst faculty, staff, students and regulatory/official bodies to ensure that the Department, as well as the College continue to set high standards within the community and internationally
- Develop faculty professional development plan for the academic year
- Update Departmental policies in accordance with CHSS and HBKU policies
- Participate in the accreditation process for the master’s program and facilitate access to all information requested by the Accreditation Committee
- Develop the Department's research agenda and contribute to it
- Other reasonable tasks as assigned by supervisor
Operating Environment, Framework & Boundaries:
Work is performed in a standard office environment. Must comply with HBKU health, safety, and environment policy as well as legal regulations applicable to areas of responsibility.
Communications and Working Relationships:
- Dean of CHSS - contact as needed to provide updates on progress & gain approval of actions
- College Department Directors - frequent contact for coordination with other CHSS programs and collaborations
- Administration team - contact as needed during budgeting and business planning cycles
- Masters and PhD Programs' faculty and staff - frequent contact to provide guidance and work instructions
- Students - frequent contact for teaching as well as to discuss and resolve any issues
- Similar institutions - contact as needed to build/maintain relationships and for collaboration
Problem Solving & Complexity:
- Identifies problems that inhibit meeting organizational objectives
- Encourages both individuals and teams to solve problems through empowerment and effective delegation and review mechanisms
- Ensures the allocation of resources and invests in people and tools to optimize problem-solving and decision-making efforts
- Removes obstacles and facilitates information flow to support effective problem-solving across the organization
Decision Making Authority & Responsibility:
- Applies judgment to decide when to make swift decisions even in the absence of all necessary information
- Arrives at sound and timely decisions, based on past experience and an understanding of the current business environment and projected changes
- Considers the impact of decisions on various stakeholders and takes this into account
- Delegates decision-making as appropriate to encourage and facilitate empowerment
Minimum Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- PhD in translation studies and eight years of relevant full-time work experience in the education sector; experience as Program Director or Head strongly preferred
- Academic rank of Professor or Associate Professor with a strong research record
- Experience of designing and delivering courses at graduate level
- Exemplary teaching skills
- Exceptional communication, interpersonal, organizational and planning skills
- Fluency in English and at least one other language offered by the Institute; Arabic proficiency is an advantage
- Excellent writing skills with the ability to draft and edit a variety of written reports and communications, and to articulate ideas clearly and concisely
- Proficiency in MS office applications required
How to Apply:
Please submit your completed application (CV, cover letter and the names of three references with their full contact information) via the following link: Click here to apply.
Review of applications is expected to begin soon and continue until the position is filled Shortlist will be called for interviews.
HBKU offers an attractive compensation package that includes a tax-free salary and additional benefits such as an education allowance, furnished accommodation, annual paid leave, air tickets, and medical insurance.
HBKU, as an equal opportunity educator and employer, is committed to maintaining culturally and academically diverse staff of the highest caliber.