Postdoctoral Researcher in Knowledge Representation and Data Integration
Research Job Description Template – Level 1
Research Centre: ADAPT Centre for Digital Content Technology at DCU
Level on Framework: Level 1
Post duration: Fixed Term Contract for 48 months
Background on ADAPT
ADAPT is Ireland’s global centre of excellence for digital media technology. Led by TCD, it combines the expertise of researchers at four universities (Trinity College Dublin, Dublin City University, University College Dublin, TU Dublin, Maynooth University, Athlone Institute of Technology and Cork Institute of Technology) with that of its industry partners to produce ground-breaking digital content innovations.
ADAPT brings together more than 220 researchers who collectively have won more than €100m in funding and have a strong track record of transferring world-leading research and innovations to more than 140 companies. With €50M in research funding from Science Foundation Ireland and industry, ADAPT is seeking talented individuals to join its growing research team. Our research and technologies will continue to help businesses in all sectors and drive back the frontiers of future Web engagement.
Background on CeIC
The Centre for eIntegrated Care is engaged in the delivery of eIntegrated care to improve health and wellbeing of citizens. Situated within Dublin City University School of Nursing, Psychotherapy, and Community Health, the focus of the centre is very much upon delivery of best practice in advancing eHealth nationally. Core to this approach is the integration of health informatics standards with a view to ‘breaking down’ the silos that exist in service delivery and progressing interoperability for the purpose of patient centred shared care. Since 2017, CeIC is engaging with eHealth Ireland in the development of metadata and the application of health informatics standards for advancement of interoperability.
The ADAPT Centre for digital content platform technology seeks to appoint Postdoctoral Researcher with expertise in knowledge representation and data integration on a fixed term contract basis to facilitate the delivery of platform and targeted research projects.
The successful candidate will work with the best and brightest talent in knowledge & ontology development, personalisation, interoperability, translation, localisation and information retrieval. They will have exposure to all aspects of project lifecycle from requirements analysis to design, code, test and face-to-face demonstrations with customers.
The successful candidate will have a broad experience in every aspect of the web development lifecycle with proven experience in using software tools to progress software development and Integrated care delivery for Health & Social Care.
The successful candidate is expected to
- Understand all aspects of industrial standard software development including the experience in Protégé, UML and data repositories of different types
- Be a conscientious software engineer who takes pride in writing clean code and has experience in use of data integration tools such as Karma.
- Be proficient in the use of well-established design patterns and software engineering practices
- Have a thorough understanding of, and experience with, development of web-based applications
- Have extensive experience with Code Repositories (Git)
- Have a thorough understanding of, and experience working in an Agile environment and working with Agile methodologies
- Be a strong team player who is able to take responsibility to contribute to the overall success of the team
Research Career Framework
As part of this role the researcher will be required to participate in the DCU Research Career Framework. This framework is designed to provide significant professional development opportunities to Researchers and offer the best opportunities in terms of a wider career path.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to his/her Principal Investigator the Postdoctoral Researcher will:
- Work closely with Adapt, Interoperability Development Team on knowledge representation
- To optimize knowledge transfer and build capacity for the adoption of ISO and W3C standards within the Health & Social Care domain.
- To create a demonstrator model to enable individual health care data views from different platforms and services.
- To identify the different actors using a socio technical framework and associated related theories e.g.: ANT.
- Have experience in development of Ontological analysis of complex healthcare networks and systems.
- Ensure team members are up to date with the work that is done
- Work with ADAPT industry partners to define requirements, troubleshoot issues and conduct demonstrations
- Implement and develop unit tests of individual software components to ensure functionality and robustness of software applications
- Document all work to ensure code is easily understood by peers
- Assist in identifying and developing future research and funding initiatives through various national EU and International Agencies
- Engage in appropriate training and development opportunities as required by the industry and academic groups
- Liaise with both internal and external stakeholders including industry clinical and academic partners/collaborators.
- Engage in the dissemination of the results of the research in which he/she is engaged
- with the support of and under the supervision of the Principal Investigator
- Carry out administrative work associated with the programme of research as
Qualifications and Experience:
Applicants should have a PhD in Information and Communications Technology or equivalent. In addition, it is desirable that the candidate has experience in Ontology driven conceptual modelling, semantic graph database development and UML modelling for data integration. Experience in teaching and training on related methodologies, data analysis, modelling and integration is also desirable
Salary Scale: €37,874 - €43,782
Appointments will be commensurate with qualifications and experience, and will be made on the appropriate point of the salary scales, in line with current Government pay policy.
Closing date: Wednesday, 27th November 2019
Candidates will be assessed on the following competencies:
Discipline knowledge and Research skills – Demonstrates knowledge of a research discipline and the ability to conduct a specific programme of research within that discipline.
Understanding the Research Environment – Demonstrates an awareness of the research environment (for example funding bodies) and the ability to contribute to grant applications
Communicating Research – Demonstrates the ability to communicate their research with their peers and the wider research community (for example presenting at conferences and publishing research in relevant journals) and the potential to teach and tutor students
Managing & Leadership skills - Demonstrates the potential to manage a research project including the supervision of undergraduate students.
Informal enquiries in relation to this role should be directed to: Ms Sharon Farrell E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: +353 (0)1 700 7951
Please do not send applications to this email address, instead apply as described in the job advert.