- Join us at an exciting time of building a new strategy of innovation
- Continuing role
- Vibrant campus life with a strong sense of community & inclusion
At UNSW, we pride ourselves on being a workplace where the best people come to do their best work.
The UNSW Legal Office provides legal support in the form of advice and transactional services to UNSW and its controlled entities on a wide variety of matters. The Legal Office comprises the General Counsel, who has overall responsibility for managing the legal, governance and compliance functions within UNSW, the Deputy General Counsel, a team of legal counsel, compliance and support staff.
About the role
Reporting to the Head of Legal (Enterprise), the primary role of the Legal Counsel is to provide sound, practical legal support to assist commercial and IP-related transactions relevant to Enterprise. The Legal Counsel also assists as required with the general legal work of the UNSW Legal Office.
Key responsibilities include:
- Provide timely, effective, practical legal review, advice and drafting of commercial agreements and consulting documents with a particular focus on IP and commercialisation.
- Provide strategic legal advice to UNSW senior management (often on an urgent basis), and assist with the development of commercialisation strategies and legal frameworks and provide legal support for transactions executed under those frameworks.
- Provide timely and effective legal support to the Business Development Managers in complex technology commercialisation transactions.
- Advise on international deals including structuring advice in relation to joint ventures and other forms of collaborations.
- Contribute to the development and updating of templates and model agreements for the UNSW Legal Office, particularly templates and model agreements relevant to the activity of Enterprise.
To be successful in this role you will have:
- Tertiary qualifications in law with a minimum of 8 years’ PQE providing legal support for commercial and preferably IP/technology-related transactions, in either a high quality in-house or commercial law firm environment.
- Admission to the Supreme Court of NSW and current practising certificate (or admission in another Australian jurisdiction and eligible to be admitted and practise in NSW).
- Extensive legal experience in the areas of intellectual property, contract and general commercial law.
- Detailed understanding of corporations law and its application to privately held companies.
- Ability to critically analyse, draft and negotiate complex and large scale commercial transactions in an innovation/technology related environment.
- Ability to build sound business relationships in a wide range of settings preferably including research communities.
You should ensure you have included a cover letter to note your suitability to this position.
Please apply online - applications will not be accepted if sent to the contact listed.
Simone Donovan, Talent Acquisition Lead
T: (61 2) 9385 8911
Applications close: Sunday, 17th November 2019 at 11pm
Please disable "Pop-up Blockers" to view Position Description Document
UNSW aspires to be the exemplar Australian university and employer of choice for people from diverse backgrounds. UNSW aims to ensure equality in recruitment, development, retention and promotion of staff, and that no-one is disadvantaged on the basis of their gender, cultural background, disability, sexual orientation or identity. We encourage everyone who meets the selection criteria to apply.