PhD Candidate through the EU Horizon 2020 MSCA ITN Project FLOAWER
About the position
We have a vacancy for a PhD candidate at the Department of Marine Technology through the EU Horizon 2020 MSCA ITN Project FLOAWER (Floating Wind Energy Network). The main topic of study is wave load and load effects for floating wind turbine hulls subjected to severe wave conditions. The successful candidate will benefit from joint supervision and multi-sectoral advisory committees. The candidate will be part of a network of early stage researchers working on similar topics, and will benefit from an extensive and varied series of carefully designed training modules and transferable skills courses. He or she will participate in symposia, workshops and international conferences and will have meaningful exposure to the industrial environment through FLOAWER’s industrial partners.
In order to apply for this position, in addition to the submission via jobbNorge, it is mandatory to also submit an application here for position ESR4.
The position reports to Erin Bachynski.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Development of numerical methods for determining highly nonlinear wave loads and load effects on floating offshore wind turbines
- Improved engineering load models based on validated high-fidelity simulations. Validation will be carried out using experimental results obtained in the FLOAWER project or other ongoing international projects.
- Better understanding of long-term extrema for local structural design through use of improved engineering models.
- The PhD-position's main objective is to qualify for work in research positions. The qualification requirement is completion of a master’s degree or second degree (equivalent to 120 credits) with a strong academic background in marine technology, civil engineering, applied mathematics or equivalent education with a grade of B or better in terms of NTNU’s grading scale. Applicants with no letter grades from previous studies must have an equally good academic foundation. Applicants who are unable to meet these criteria may be considered only if they can document that they are particularly suitable candidates for education leading to a PhD degree.
- The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant.
- Good written and oral English language skills.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
- Relevant academic background related to hydrodynamics or structural responses of floating platforms
- Programming/computational skills – in one or more of Fortran, C++, python or matlab
- Strong analytical skills
- Positive attitude and interested in teamwork
- Ability to take initiative and to work independently
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal suitability, as well as motivation, in terms of the qualification requirements specified in the advertisement
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
PhD candidates are remunerated in code 1017, and are normally remunerated at gross from NOK 479 600 before tax per year. From the salary, 2 % is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is 3 years. Appointment to a PhD position requires admission to the PhD programme in Engineering. https://www.ntnu.edu/studies/phiv .
As a PhD candidate, you undertake to participate in an organized PhD programme during the employment period. A condition of appointment is that you are in fact qualified for admission to the PhD programme within three months.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criterias in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background. Under the Freedom of Information Act (Offentleglova), information about the applicant may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to have their name entered on the list of applicants.
The national labour force must reflect the composition of the population to the greatest possible extent, NTNU wants to increase the proportion of women in its scientific posts. Women are encouraged to apply. Furthermore, Trondheim offers great opportunities for education (including international schools) and possibilities to enjoy nature, culture and family life (http://trondheim.com/) . Having a population of 200 000, Trondheim is a small city by international standards with low crime rates and little pollution. It also has easy access to a beautiful countryside with mountains and a dramatic coastline.
Questions about the position can be directed to Erin Bachynski, phone number +4747715124, e-mail email@example.com.
About the application:
Publications and other academic works that the applicant would like to be considered in the evaluation must accompany the application. Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify the individual applicant's contribution to joint works, the applicant must include a brief description of his or her contribution.
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no and http://www.floawer-h2020.eu/ with your CV, diplomas and certificates. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Diploma Supplement is required to attach for European Master Diplomas outside Norway. Chinese applicants are required to provide confirmation of Master Diploma from China Credentials Verification (CHSI): http://www.chsi.com.cn/en/).
Applicants invited for interview must include certified copies of transcripts and reference letters.
Please refer to the application number IV-248/19 when applying.
Application deadline: 31.12.2019
Deadline 31st December 2019
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Place of service Department of Marine Technology