Marketing and Communication Manager
Location Edinburgh, GB
Organization Name Heriot Watt University
About Heriot-Watt University
Heriot-Watt University has five campuses: three in the UK (Edinburgh, Scottish Borders and Orkney), one in Dubai and one in Malaysia. The University offers a highly distinctive range of degree programmes in the specialist areas of science, engineering, design, business and languages.
With a history dating back to 1821, Heriot-Watt University has established a reputation for world-class teaching and practical, leading-edge research, which has made it one of the top UK universities for business and industry. We connect with industry at every level and develop programmes to match their needs – so employers get work-ready industry-fit graduates.
Heriot-Watt is also Scotland's most international university, boasting the largest international student cohort.
We have an established set of values that help us to nurture innovation and leadership, and show our commitment to continuous improvement and development in all our activities.
For full details on our University please view our Careers at Heriot-Watt http://www.hw.ac.uk/about/careers-at-heriot-watt.htm
About our Team
The GRID @ Heriot-Watt
Fascinated by the future and captivated by technology and innovation?
Want to work with a diverse range of organisations and help them explore the art of the possible?
We are embarking on a number of flagship digital and data driven innovation investments– in total we are investing over £50M over the next 5 years in these new global initiatives, and we aim to work with selected partners to leverage this further, transforming lives and creating opportunities for all.
The GRID at Heriot-Watt has many dimensions. It’s a place for learning, a way of thinking and a catalyst for collaboration. GRID brings together global expertise to tackle current industry challenges whilst pioneering new innovation to drive our future economies and companies of scale.
However, it is people that matter, and we are creating great spaces where creative and brilliant minds are encouraged to share ideas and explore new concepts – tapping into world-class academic resource to stay at the forefront of rapidly changing technology trends.
Through The GRID, HWU is revolutionising the means of learning. Innovation, discovery and entrepreneurship are being placed at the core of learning. The GRID connects our leading academics, high growth technology companies and our research partners to build better products and services for future global markets.
Purpose of Role
Reporting to the Head of Communications and working for the Chief Entrepreneurial Executive, the role is embedded within The GRID and focuses on business engagement and enterprise activities. It will work closely with our Marketing and Communication teams (in particular the Communication Officer (Research Engagement)), Schools and International Campuses, to deliver robust marketing and communication plans to amplify the Heriot-Watt reputation for enterprise and innovation, drive user engagement, and positively influence partner acquisition and retention.
Key duties and responsibilities
Summary of Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Creation of marketing and communication strategy and plans for enterprise, utilising internal and external channels, and acting as guardian of the university brand for enterprise audiences;
- Support the acquisition and retention of enterprise partners through the delivery of effective brand-led B2B marketing, the creation and the delivery of digital and print content that engages new and existing partners;
- Enhance the reputation of Heriot-Watt for the delivery of enterprise and entrepreneurship projects aligning work as appropriate with Research Engagement and our strategic research priorities through the development of related stories in specialist media and the planning and delivery of enterprise focussed events;
- Development, ongoing management, and coordination of internal communication plans to promote engagement in enterprise activities across the University in the UK and internationally (Dubai & Malaysia);
- Build and tell compelling stories of success in enterprise and entrepreneurship on digital and traditional communication channels including working with the media, public events and the development and regular updating of the university website and social media;
- Develop, distribute and amply enterprise content via owned, earned and bought media channels, including briefing and managing agency relationships as required;
- Work closely with the Head of Communications and Chief Entrepreneurial Executive to ensure that appropriate resource is available to meet requirements, including access to freelancers and agencies as appropriate.
Education, qualifications and experience
These are the criteria on which the short-listing and recruitment selection will be made.
- Degree level education, ideally in a related marketing or communications discipline
- Extensive communications or marketing channel and content management experience
- Experience of using data and analytics to understand ROI measures to build effective campaigns
- Extensive copywriting and editing, especially in developing content for use by business audiences.
- Creative commissioning and management of creative resources
- Proven experience of working effectively in a matrix structure and ensuring outputs are coordinated in a complex operating environment.
- Ability to coach, motivate, assess and manage team members (if required)
- Competent in the use of relevant IT packages and internet research
- Proven relevant technical experience in B2B marketing, which will have been acquired over a number of years, with a basic understanding of the relevant theory
- Excellent interpersonal, influencing and presentation skills, able to understand and communicate complex issues effectively
- Demonstrable ability to work quickly, flexibly and accurately in a dynamic, changing and pressured environment
- Experience of working closely with stakeholders across all levels of the organisation
- Ability to research, analyse and present complex information effectively with good attention to detail
- High level organisational skills with the ability to prioritise major developments and to function effectively in a pressured environment
- Demonstrable professional and proactive approach
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to manage and control budgets
- Higher education sector experience
- Experience of working in B2B services marketing
- CIM/CIPR/IDM or equivalent Marketing/Comms qualification
- Experience of content development and management and/or copywriting
- Understanding of innovation and entrepreneurial ecosystems
Competencies, Tasks and Responsibilities
The tasks and responsibilities listed under the following Competency Headings form part of all management roles in the University at this level and it is expected that the role-holder will perform them to at least an effective standard at all times.
Initiative and Problem Solving
- Provide advice and guidance on complex and non-standard queries, using personal knowledge and experience
- Use initiative and creative ideas to resolve non-standard problems using experience and reasoning to reach an effective conclusion
- Generate original ideas and innovative solutions through the provision of specialist know-how and advice as appropriate
- Gather and analyse requirements for systems in order to identify optimum solutions
- Prepare and deliver training and briefing sessions to provide tools, techniques and support to relevant customers and stakeholders
Clear and Consistent Communications
- Using all forms of media, including Social Media where appropriate:
- Write/review papers, policies, guidance and briefings for internal and external audiences and stakeholders
- Write letters, emails and other direct communication to individuals and groups
- Interpret, prepare, analyse and deliver reports
- Providing detailed explanations of systems, procedure or technical information both verbally and in writing
- Carry out quantitative and qualitative analysis and contribute to the interpretation of results.
- Contribute to publications as required
Planning and Organising
- Plan, prioritise and organise your own work or resources to ensure the timely delivery of agreed service objectives in line with customer needs
- Plan, organise, co-ordinate and facilitate meetings, workshops and larger events ensuring effective use of resources and budget.
- Monitor project status and take remedial action where necessary to ensure that projects are delivered on time.
- Provide timely and appropriate guidance and advice on policy, procedure, legislation and local processes and contribute to policy/procedure development
- Provide expert technical advice within your area of knowledge and expertise by acting as an internal and external consultant, advising on the development and application of specialist techniques and/or procedures and the analysis and interpretation of results
- Create a positive image of the University by being responsive, prompt and courteous when responding to requests or enquiries from customers
- Proactively seek to understand and react to the needs and requirements of the customer
- Work with colleagues within the department to contribute to the continued review and improvement of the service
- Assist in the setting of standards for the service team
- Produce timely reports for management as requested
- Liaise with internal and external teams, committees, bodies etc. to ensure an effective service.
- Work collaboratively and effectively within your department, sharing expertise and contributing to the development of the department operational plan
- Participate in working groups within the university and externally if required, sharing ideas, experience and providing technical advice
- Contribute to and provide support and encouragement across the team
- Build cooperation and set example by demonstration a flexible approach
- Cover for team members, including deputising for senior members as appropriate
- Provide timely and accurate advice to customers and stakeholders based on your technical knowledge
- Assess the risks of various options and work with the relevant customer/stakeholder to achieve the optimum outcome
- Provide technical advice and support to others to enable development of strategy, direction and vision
- Purchase non-standard consumables or equipment following School policy
- Negotiate with suppliers regarding prices and deliveries to increase financial efficiency
- There are no line management responsibilities within this position but you may be asked to take on management of supervisor duties on occasion as part of your personal development
- Under the direction of a senior staff member, monitor the budgets of the work area/research area/grant, making sure it operates effectively within budget constraints and maintaining appropriate stocks and financial records e.g. expenditure, purchasing, equipment.
- Manage specialised equipment or facilities
- Demonstrate the University Values at all times through performance and behaviour
- Participate in ad-hoc duties to support the team/University and for personal development
- Support newer or inexperienced colleagues within and outside the University by offering support, help and advice
- Positively promote the University internally and externally through positive behaviour and supporting University-wide activities
This job description is intended as a flexible framework which outlines the key general areas of activity in your position. Other activities may be required which are not outlined above but which are appropriate to the position and grade. Your personal objectives (Forward Job Plan) will also set out specific tasks and objectives for you to achieve, including objectives to help your career development.
How To Apply
Applications can be submitted up to midnight (UK time) on 29th October 2019.
At Heriot-Watt University we understand that being diverse makes us better which is why we support a culture of respect and equal opportunity, and value diversity at the heart of what we do. We want to increase the diversity of our workplace to underpin a dynamic and creative environment.
We welcome and will consider flexible working patterns e.g. part-time working and job share options.
Use our total rewards calculator: https://www.hw.ac.uk/about/work/total-rewards-calculator.htm to see the value of benefits provided by Heriot-Watt University.
Minimum Salary 32817
Maximum Salary 40322
Amount of Travel Minimum Travel