Campus Internship: Communications Officer
This post is open to University of Leeds Undergraduate Students only.
Are you a current University of Leeds undergraduate student, with an interest in Communications and Public Relations? Would you like to gain valuable experience of establishing an effective communications network across the UK for a large recruiting NHS clinical trial?
We are looking for a current Leeds undergraduate student to join us as an Intern in a professional office environment, in an organisation recognised for its high quality of academic provision, commitment to excellence and good practice. Our Internships are designed to enhance your employability and as such you will develop key skills and experience for your CV, including team work, interpersonal and communication skills, initiative, organisation, high quality administration and project development.
You will be responsible for promoting the TRITON study in the first instance with the aim of reaching patients with Irritable Bowel Syndrome with Diarrhoea (IBS-D). This may include:
- Engaging with TV, newspaper and radio both nationally and locally where hospitals are taking part in the study
- Using the trial Twitter account effectively to publicise the study
- Liaising with communications departments in the research and gastroenterology communities for publicity
- Liaising with individual hospitals, GP surgeries, pharmacies regarding advertising the study
- Contacting institutions/companies/events relevant to this condition to see if they can assist in promotion of the study
- Liaising with IBS charities and other patient forums for help to publicise the trial
- Promoting the TRITON patient website and self-screening questionnaire https://ctru.leeds.ac.uk/triton/
- Identify any other relevant/suitable forms of advertising as appropriate
- You will also be responsible for robustly tracking and documenting progress of this activity for submission to the study oversight committees and Funder.
With an interest in pursuing a career in communications, public relations or advertising, you will have strong communication skills and the ability to work effectively as part of a team; with a positive and proactive approach to problem solving and making improvements. You will also have excellent organisational and planning skills and the ability to complete tasks to agreed deadlines and within mandated budgets. Strong IT skills and proficiency in the use of MS Office products (particularly Word and Excel) are essential.
To explore the post further or for any queries you may have, please contact:
Catherine Olivier, Senior Trial Manager
Tel: +44 (0)113 343 0504; Email: email@example.com
The University of Leeds is committed to providing equal opportunities for all and offers a range of family friendly policies. The University is a charter member of Athena SWAN and holds the Bronze award. The School of Medicine gained the Silver award in 2016. We are committed to being an inclusive medical school that values all staff, and we are happy to consider job share applications and requests for flexible working arrangements from our employees.
Location: Leeds - Main Campus
Faculty/Service: Faculty of Medicine & Health
School/Institute: Leeds Institute of Clinical Trials Research (LICTR)
Category: Administrative and Clerical Support
Grade: Grade 3
Salary: £17,682 to £19,133 p.a. pro rata
Working Time: 20% wte
Post Type: Part Time
Contract Type: Fixed Term (Between 3 months and 12 months)
Release Date: Thursday 03 October 2019
Closing Date: Thursday 24 October 2019
Downloads: Candidate Brief