Clinical Technologist 2, Dermpath Lab
University Job Title
Clinical Technologist 2, Dermpath Lab
L34 - Local 34 (Yale Union Group)
Labor Grade D
Medical School Campus
15 York Street
New Haven, CT 06510
Standard (M-F equal number of hours per day)
Searchable Job Family
Total # of hours to be worked:
Under the supervisor of the Laboratory Manager and with a thorough knowledge and theory of histological techniques, process and prepare high-quality microscopic slides for medical diagnostic purposes. Work in all areas of the Histology laboratory and perform these functions independently. Minimum of an Associate's Degree in laboratory science or medical laboratory technology is required. May perform other duties as assigned.
- Performs specialized laboratory tests and procedures in such areas as histology, cytology, cytogenics, medical technology, and histocompatibility. Records results. Interprets and analyzes results of test and procedures.
- Tests for and ensures quality control of slides, specimens and cultures. Sets up, operates and maintains laboratory equipment.
- Oversees and instructs support staff. Serves as a source of information on specialized laboratory techniques and equipment operation.
- Prepares specimens, tissue, bodily fluid samples, and other matter for analysis and diagnosis using specialized laboratory techniques.
- Stains and mounts slides, prepares specialized solutions and media; and cultures tissues.
- Develops and modifies laboratory techniques and procedures. Orders and maintains inventory of supplies. May photograph specimens and other matter and develop film.
- Performs additional functions incidental to laboratory activities.
Required Education and Experience
- Associate’s Degree in a related field is required.
- 3+ years of Histology experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Proven ability to work in a fast paced and time sensitive environment.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Ability to work independently or with a team with limited supervision.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Ability to communicate effectively with management, Pathologists and staff.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Demonstrated excellent attendance, punctuality and reliability, as attested by references.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Ability to be flexible with work hours for coverage when necessary.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Bachelor's Degree in medical technology, clinical laboratory science; or chemical, physical or biological science.
Required Licenses or Certifications
HT or HTL Certification through ASCP is required.
Weekend Hours Required?
Evening Hours Required?
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yale University is a tobacco-free campus