Associate Research Administrator
3 days left
- Full Time
The School of Engineering (SoE)
The SoE has been at the forefront of innovation for nearly a century, creating pivotal technologies that have transformed the worlds of information technology, communications, health care, energy, business and beyond. Our faculty and students are creative risk-takers who pursue excellence across a breadth of disciplines. Our alumni include some of the world's most successful leaders in technology and business. Our staff are critical to enabling Stanford Engineering to accomplish its mission: seeking solutions to some of the world's most urgent challenges and educating leaders who will make the world a better place through the power of engineering principles, techniques and systems.
On behalf of eight SoE academic departments, the Engineering Research Administration (ERA) administers approximately 920 annual awards and $121 million in annual sponsored research. ERA is a high-volume and productive administrative unit, and the ERA staff collectively manage the pre- and post-award activities for a large and diverse portfolio of sponsoring agencies (over 290 different agencies). ERA is looking for an Associate Research Administrator (ARA). The ARA is our junior-level research administrator position, with a career path to the Research Administrator (RA) level. The ARA will provide a full range of administrative, financial and other tasks associated with pre- and post-award sponsored research activities and services, including proposal preparation and post-award management of funds and budgets. Training will be provided so the incumbent will learn to manage the proposal preparation and post-award activities on routine sponsored projects such as federal grants, foundation grants, and simple industrial contracts.
Are you searching for a new career? Are you a great communicator with attention to detail? Then research administration may be just the career for you.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Ability to learn and stay updated on University and governmental regulations
- Assist in the preparation of routine proposals within parameters of sponsored and non-sponsored research guidelines.
- Collaborate as a team member within a team composed of other RAs, and Senior RAs.
- Collaborate with the Office of Sponsored Research (OSR) to ensure awards are set up properly, including cost-share accounts if applicable.
- Coordinate and communicate proposal submission process and review documents for completeness and compliance.
- Demonstrate commitment to regularly update and maintain technology skills.
- Develop, prepare and finalize routine project budgets and budget justifications.
- Download and monitor reports supporting project status, and use forecasting and decision aides under guidance.
- Demonstrated expertise in Excel and web-based tools.
- Provide excellent customer service.
- Participate in and contribute to process improvements and group projects.
- Participate in award closeout process and audit inquiries.
- Provide financial reports that are reflective of a Principal Investigator’s (PIs) sponsored and non-sponsored activities (in order to provide PIs with a one-stop shop).
- Responsible for review and certification of monthly expenditure statements, and facilitates quarterly review by PI.
- Review and approve expenditures and monitor post-award spending and commitment activity.
- Review and understand the terms and conditions of routine awards, including linked/footnoted terms and conditions not provided in hard or electronic copy.
- Serve as liaison and active partner between PI, OSR, research groups, and other departments, and responds to sponsor inquiries.
To be successful in this role you will possess:
- Analytical skills and demonstrated expertise in Excel and web-based tools.
- Robust command of written and spoken English and overall excellent communication skills.
- Time management and organizational skills.
- Detail oriented nature and work well independently but also willing to seek out assistance when needed.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn Stanford administrative and financial systems.
- Strong ability to organize and prioritize workload and work effectively in a fast-paced, deadline-driven work environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills including tact, diplomacy, and flexibility.
- Willingness and ability to understand and interpret University policies and procedures.
In addition, preferred requirements include:
- Bachelor’s degree and one year of relevant experience, or a combination of education and relevant experience.
*Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Why Stanford is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. In order to be considered, please submit a cover letter and résumé along with your online application. Your one-page cover letter should briefly describe your background in customer service and provide examples of your experience with attention to detail, responsiveness, and decision-making.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4481
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: F
- Requisition ID: 85004