Instructor of Accounting in the Digital Economy
United Arab Emirates University (UAEU), established in 1976 as a federal institution with a focus on intellect, culture and science, is the oldest and leading university in the UAE. Known for its pioneering spirit, it is one of the top universities in the region, and has a vast and influential alumni network of more than 65,000 graduates. Its pioneering nature is now once more underscored by its strategic project The University of the Future. In line with the United Arab Emirates Centennial Plan 2071 to provide the best education in the world, UAEU aims to realize global eminence and to become the University of the Future in the region. Hence, UAEU launched the “University of the Future” Project, a multi-phase project that re-envisions the future of UAEU in becoming a world-class, university focused on the future, responding to the challenges and opportunities stemming from digitalization, the Fourth Industrial Revolution (4IR), technological innovations, globalization, and major societal challenges. In doing so, its aspiration is to be recognized as “the first world-class university in the country; among the first 20 in Asia; and among the first 200 globally” by 2030.
The College of Business and Economics (CBE), AACSB accredited since 2000, redefined its strategy, accordingly, reflecting its ambition to «be, from a business angle, a catalyst for technologically-driven innovation in relation with the digital economy and the 4IR», and focusing on leadership, managerial, business and economic challenges in relation with the 4IR, the digital economy, technologically-driven innovation, and induced business-model innovation; accelerated development of graduate education; and strengthening corporate relations and internationalization.
As part of this strategy, the CBE now seeks to appoint a highly motivated academic for a full-time position as Instructor in Accounting Information Systems in the Digital Economy to start in the January 2020. The candidate is expected to actively engage in promoting the growth of the Accounting program and the College of Business & Economics (CBE) at UAE University, with experience in postgraduate program development and teaching, as Instructor of Accounting in the Digital Economy. The Accounting and Finance Department is reputable for excellence in accounting and finance education and research in the UAE and within the GCC and the MENA region. It aspires to be one of the leading global centers for accounting and finance thought. The Department is part of the oldest and largest University in the UAE and the only AACSB-Accounting Accredited department in GCC and MENA region. Our undergraduate and postgraduate programs provide the practical and theoretical knowledge necessary for navigating and providing leadership for the complex global world of business; and helps them develop the skills needed for participation in society. Our faculty experts research a broad range of topics that provide insights into new ways of thinking and learning for accounting, finance and society.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
The appointed candidate will be expected to:
- Develop and teach undergraduate and postgraduate courses in accounting (with emphasis on accounting information systems and significant leaning towards the emerging component elements of 4IR and the digital economy such as Fintech, blockchain, data analytics/big data science, etc.);
- Engage in innovative and technology-based approaches to learning and teaching;
- Participate in the supervision of undergraduate research projects;
- Participate in committee at the departmental, college and/or university levels as assigned;
- Actively engage in promoting the growth of the UAE University; and
- Perform administrative duties as assigned by the Department Chair and College Dean.
Earned Master’s degree in Accounting from an internationally recognized university with emphasis on accounting information systems
A Master’s degree in Accounting Information Systems, preferably with additional qualification in one of the component areas of 4IR and the digital economy (such as blockchain, Fintech, data analytics/data science, etc.);
- Strong commitment to excellence in teaching, curriculum development, and outcome assessment;
- Experience in teaching accounting information systems at both the undergraduate and postgraduate levels;
- Mastering computer skills especially specialized Accounting and big data related software
- Ability to communicate effectively in English
- Very good interpersonal skills. In addition to the above, professional qualification and experience in practice setting will be highly valued.
The application package should include a cover letter indicating how you meet the selection criteria, a detailed resume, teaching philosophy, courses taught, professional designations/expertise in accounting, and a brief description of current/future research activities. English is the language of instructions and communication in the CBE.
All enquiries about this job may be directed to Dr. Mayada Youssef (Mayada_Youssef@uaeu.ac.ae), Chair of the Accounting and Finance Department.
Special Instructions to Applicant
Please submit your application online at https://jobs.uaeu.ac.ae/search.jsp.
Division College of Bsns & Economics-(CBE)
Department Accounting and Finance-(CBE)
Job Close Date 07-11-2019
Job Category Academic - Faculty