Director of Health, IT Strategic Portfolio Management
None - Not included in the union (Yale Union Group)
Administration & Operations
Compensation Grade Profile
Senior Manager; Senior Program Leader (M7)
150 Munson Street
New Haven, CT 06511
Standard (M-F equal number of hours per day)
Searchable Job Family
Computing and Information Systems
Total # of hours to be worked:
Reporting to the Associate CIO, Medicine & Health, the incumbent will develop, maintain, and steward the overall IT investment portfolio for the services, applications, infrastructure, programs, and projects that support the research, education, patient care, and administrative functions of the health campus of Yale University (Yale Health and the schools of medicine, nursing, and public health). Typical investments will be programs, projects, and process improvement initiatives at scale that implement significant business process changes for a large number of diverse stakeholders. Project impacts and risks are likely to be cross university, involve partnerships with Yale New Haven Health, and be politically sensitive with significant time constraints.
The incumbent will:
- Work with stakeholders to develop and sustain a strategic planning process and an IT governance process that represents the needs of the tripartite missions and fits appropriately into existing Yale University and Yale New Haven Health institutional governance structures. Develop strategic planning tools, such as balanced scorecards and dashboards, to document and track decisions.
- Be responsible for the development and maintenance of the health IT strategic and operational investment portfolio, working with appropriate finance and planning functions and stewarding the IT portfolio through governance review and approval processes.
- Manage stakeholder expectations throughout all phases of portfolio investments by using appropriate data collection and reporting methodologies that effectively address anticipated and communicated concerns.
- Articulate messages about forthcoming changes and develop outreach and communications plans and activities to promote awareness and alignment of the IT investment portfolio by mission colleagues and IT staff.
- Develop and sustain an IT governance process that incorporates broad stakeholder input leading to timely and authoritative collaborative decision making that represents the needs of the tripartite missions of the health enterprise and fits appropriately into existing Yale University and Yale New Haven Health institutional governance structures.
- Develop and sustain an ongoing IT strategic planning process that incorporates the mission priorities and desired future direction of the institution and the opportunities provided by advances in technology.
- Build relationships with university and health system stakeholders, developing an in depth understanding of operations and processes and providing advice on and collaborating in the development of process improvements, transitions of projects to operations, and development and advancement of necessary IT investments.
- Lead/direct staff work activities, providing career planning and professional development.
- Routinely monitor collective staff performance to ensure high internal and external stakeholder satisfaction using key performance indicators and customer feedback tools.
- Ensure compliance with university policies, FERPA, HIPAA and any other applicable laws and regulations.
- Develop, track, and report on qualitative and quantitative (including financial) measures and targets for efforts represented in the IT portfolio and validate the models and results with stakeholders.
- Assists in formulating long-term goals to provide for the development and direction of the area of responsibility, ensuring conformity and uniformity with University policies.
- Directs new systems development and modification of existing systems.
- Evaluates user needs and implements systems and solutions to best service the community.
- Consults with users to diagnose and resolve complex problems.
- Serves as a liaison between area of responsibility and other areas to serve University goals.
- Develops troubleshooting and problem resolution programs to ensure a high level of service and efficiency.
- Directs a staff of non-exempt and exempt employees.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor's Degree in a related field and ten years of related work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Proven ability to see the “big picture” and to help stakeholders define strategic priorities. Demonstrated ability to provide a communications bridge between the IT delivery teams and stakeholders from non-technology backgrounds (i.e., serving as a “boundary spanner”).
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Extensive stakeholder management experience involving senior level stakeholders, including experience in academia and working across multiple organizations/institutions on cooperative initiatives. Demonstrated ability to deal effectively with ambiguity and create clarity with sponsors and stakeholders with diverse views and opinions.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Demonstrated ability to successfully plan, lead and execute multiple, complex programs and projects.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Excellent collaboration, facilitation and problem solving skills. Excellent ability to lead change by partnering with diverse colleagues to bring about a common outcome. Superior customer service orientation and initiative. The ability to translate business needs into business/functional requirements and to formulate action plans.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Demonstrated ability to lead effectively in a matrix environment. A critical component of this is the ability to influence resources to adhere to work plans where there are competing priorities and little formal authority over those resources.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Masters in information science, business, or a directly related field. Ten years progressive IT program & portfolio management responsibility involving complex implementation with enterprise wide impact. Experience identifying and tracking appropriate metrics for decision-making. Experience working in health sciences or academic medical centers in roles that span the tripartite mission.
Preferred Licenses or Certifications:
PMP certification. Strategic planning certification.
Weekend Hours Required?
Evening Hours Required?
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yale University is a tobacco-free campus