Grounds Leader direct most routine phases of grounds maintenance for a designated task of the grounds. They are leaders who serve as resource persons for uncommon questions of plant problems and characteristics. Working under general supervision they maintain acceptable physical appearance and health condition of the grounds assigned to them. These employees receive guidance and approval from the Grounds Supervisor in effecting changes in planting arrangements in their area. When necessary they receive guidance and approval from their supervisor in carrying out leader duties.
Grounds Leaders are responsible for effective leading of the employees assigned to them. They are responsible for establishing good working relationships with and among crew members. They guide and instruct new crew members in the performance of their duties (this may be done through subordinates). These employees are responsible for applying rules and policies regarding sick leave and vacation, work records, etc., for ensuring the adherence to safety procedures; for setting up vacation schedules, maintaining morale, and not exceeding budgeted man-hours. In recognizing the existence of problems in supervisory areas, Grounds Leaders are expected to go to their supervisor for consultation and guidance.
Employees at this level do not have supervisory authority over other employees and are not expected to exercise independent judgment on final decisions regarding quality or quantity of work produced by such employees, or personnel actions such as hiring, promotion, discharge or disciplinary measures.
- Lead a crew of Groundskeeper Assistants, Groundskeepers, Gardeners and Grounds Equipment Operators assigned to them by the Grounds Supervisor
- Establish work schedules for regularly recurring work performed by Grounds Equipment Operators; assign work on a task-by-task basis when needed
- Assign sections of grounds to Gardeners, delegating to them responsibility for maintaining acceptable physical appearance of their sections
- Make arrangements for the services of the Tree Specialist and Pest Controller as needed
- Assign Groundskeeper Assistants and Groundskeepers to aid Gardener, either temporarily or permanently
- Recommend improvements or seasonal replacement in planting arrangements; carry out or approve minor changes on own initiative
- Perform gardening duties
- Train lower level staff
- Provide special guidance to other employees; for example provide guidance in the identification and elimination of new or infrequently encountered pests and diseases
- In addition to the qualifications required for the Gardener, the Grounds Leader classification requires the following demonstrated qualifications:
- Ability to train others in groundskeeping and equipment operating duties
- Ability to effect good working relationships and exercise initiative and good judgement in organizing work and solving routine problems
- Ability to follow oral and/or written instructions; must be able to instruct subordinates
- Must know and be able to establish safety procedures effectively
- Must know symptoms of and remedies for new or infrequent diseases and pests in area (or where to go to find a solution)
- Must possess a valid California driver’s license
- Formal casework in groundskeeping, botany, or related fields desirable
- Certification as a Certified Landscape Technician (CLT) is desired
- This classification requires that employees be able to learn and apply the Affirmative Action Program as it applies to their work group.
Job Code: 7978
Employee Status: Regular
Requisition ID: 84706