Student Recruitment Officer, Postgraduate
Closing date 7 Oct 2019 23:00 (UK time)
Salary £32,817–£40,322 (Grade 7)
Department Heriot-Watt University
Category Professional & Managerial
Status Full Time
About Heriot-Watt University
Heriot-Watt University has five campuses: three in the UK (Edinburgh, Scottish Borders and Orkney), one in Dubai and one in Malaysia. The University offers a highly distinctive range of degree programmes in the specialist areas of science, engineering, design, business and languages.
With a history dating back to 1821, Heriot-Watt University has established a reputation for world-class teaching and practical, leading-edge research, which has made it one of the top UK universities for business and industry. We connect with industry at every level and develop programmes to match their needs – so employers get work-ready industry-fit graduates.
Heriot-Watt is also Scotland's most international university, boasting the largest international student cohort.
We have an established set of values that help us to nurture innovation and leadership, and show our commitment to continuous improvement and development in all our activities.
For full details on our University please view our Careers at Heriot-Watt http://www.hw.ac.uk/about/careers-at-heriot-watt.htm
About our Team
The Student Recruitment team is tasked with developing and implementing the University’s student recruitment strategy. Focusing on ambitious targets for growth in the University’s student numbers, the Service promotes Heriot-Watt University to prospective students, teachers, parents and other key stakeholders.
Working in a competitive environment, we deliver a highly-targeted range of recruitment activities which focus on the awareness end of the prospect journey – generating high quality, convertible leads and working in partnership with the Marketing team, Academic Schools and the Admissions and Prospect Experience team to nurture and take prospects to point of enrolment. Data and evidence constantly informs our targeting and resource allocation decisions to ensure that we provide an efficient and effective service to prospects at all times.
This key role is responsible for leading postgraduate recruitment activities for the Scottish and UK markets and overseeing a holistic approach for prospects. You will be expected to engage with internal and external stakeholders and be a positive ambassador for Heriot-Watt University – both in the field and at on campus events. By effective engagement with colleagues from Academic Schools, Professional Services and Support Services you will provide a streamlined approach to recruitment activity.
The post-holder will work closely with teams in the following areas to optimise delivery and results:
Academic Schools: Portfolio training, events, marketing tools
Prospect Journey Team: Enquiries Management
Marketing: Brand, Web Presence, Marketing Collateral, Events
Market Research and Analysis: Informing strategic approach and operational activities
International Operations: Portfolio and product training, on-campus visits
Alumni relations: Utilising alumni as advocates to assist with recruitment
Key duties and responsibilities
You will have a detailed knowledge of University sector challenges and opportunities in relation to postgraduate recruitment. You will take responsibility for recruitment activities based in the UK, which you will keep constantly reviewed and updated in line with sector demand.
You will be strategic in your approach and be able to influence internal stakeholders through clearly articulating the University’s place within the postgraduate recruitment environment. You will show an ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines whilst ensuring priorities are aligned to strategic imperatives.
Education, qualifications and experience
- Plan, coordinate and execute a carefully researched, data-informed targeted programme of visits and activities designed to attract and convert target students
- Develop and implement a highly focussed recruitment plan for the Scottish and Rest of UK market
- Regularly horizon scan on competitor activity and market opportunities and ensure the University’s student recruitment activities reflect best practice in the sector
- Work collaboratively with internal stakeholders on recruitment projects
- Develop and deliver a bespoke recruitment plan for PGT recruitment aimed at the University’s undergraduate students at all campuses, in liaison with colleagues in Dubai and Malaysia
- Work closely with the Marketing team to produce effective and informative marketing materials
- Utilise the CRM system to engage with prospects
- Support the undergraduate team at peak times and with on-campus events
- Educated to first degree level or equivalent
- Demonstrable experience of managing resources, workloads and changing priorities
- Detailed knowledge of the Scottish & UK higher education sector
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Good track record of developing and maintaining positive working relationships with internal and external customers, peers, stakeholders and others
- Collaborative and proactive
- Experience of working within the Postgraduate Recruitment sector
- Up-to-date knowledge of relevant legislation and government policy
- Project Management Skills
- Event Management Experience
- Marketing experience, preferably in the Higher Education sector
How To Apply
Applications can be submitted up to midnight (UK time) on Monday 7th October.
At Heriot-Watt University we understand that being diverse makes us better which is why we support a culture of respect and equal opportunity, and value diversity at the heart of what we do. We want to increase the diversity of our workplace to underpin a dynamic and creative environment.
This role does not meet the minimum requirements set by UKVI to enable sponsorship of non-European nationals. Therefore we cannot progress applications from candidates who require sponsorship to work in the UK. For further information on this please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website: https://www.gov.uk/browse/visas-immigration/work-visas
We welcome and will consider flexible working patterns e.g. part-time working and job share options.
Use our total rewards calculator: https://www.hw.ac.uk/about/work/total-rewards-calculator.htm to see the value of benefits provided by Heriot-Watt University.