Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
Under minimum supervision from the Director of Campus Operations and Maintenance, the HVAC Supervisor will be responsible for supervising the heating, ventilation, and air conditioning maintenance activities for Caltech.
This position is classified with an emergency response designation of Essential Reporting. An employee designated as Essential Reporting has essential job skills that are needed for response and recovery, and is expected to report to campus as soon as possible.
- Utilize Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS) program software to create, process, and complete planned and corrective maintenance work orders.
- Enhance customer satisfaction by establishing regular communications regarding maintenance and repair activities for affected discipline(s).
- Perform field inspections to review work progress and resolve work conflicts.
- Assure compliance with applicable building codes and Caltech Design Guidelines.
- Manage Caltech resources for optimum productivity.
- Manage shop budgets and report financial performance status.
- Enhance the performance of licensed heating, ventilation, air conditioning, and refrigeration technicians.
- Respond to trouble calls, emergency conditions, and analyze routine work requests for timely execution and completion.
- Enforce adherence to campus fire, life safety, confined space, lock out, and tag out procedures.
- Perform and maintain up-to-date records for all safety inspections, tests, maintenance, and repairs.
- Maintain technical proficiency with new equipment technologies, regulatory requirements, and engineering advances in improved operational performance.
- Evaluate shop personnel for performance, training, work schedules, vacations, discipline, and merit salary adjustments.
- Assist and supervise third party contractors and vendors awarded campus work.
- Provide written and oral reports effectively.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ten years’ supervisory experience in large campus or facility construction, operation, or maintenance organization - or 8 years' journey-level experience plus 2 years of supervisory experience
- Knowledge of building codes, regulatory requirements, licensing, and inspections.
- Five years journeyman level experience in the HVAC trade. Expertise with all test instruments and tools of the trade. Ability to correctly and skillfully operate the various standard tools and equipment of the HVAC trade (e.g., test lamps, ammeters, voltmeters, torches, refrigerant reclamation, etc.).
- Ability to read, interpret, and understand technical language in wiring diagrams. Ability to modify and/or adapt designs, procedures, or methods to make necessary alterations and modifications.
- Communicate professionally with the members of the Caltech community in all situations. Must maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Software proficiency in MS Word, Excel, MS Project, E-Builder, and Outlook.
- Ability to work independently and follow through on assignments.
- Skill in estimating material and labor requirements to accomplish task.
- Ability to work various shifts as well as overtime and weekends.
- Must possess or have the ability to obtain by the date of hire a valid California Driver's License and be able to maintain it throughout the course of employment.
- Strong English oral and written communication skills are required. Use correct punctuation, vocabulary, spelling, and sentence structure. Follow written instructions.
- Must be in good health with the physical strength and agility to lift up to 50 pounds on a daily basis, bend in all directions, climb stairs and ladders, squeeze with arms and hands, operate machinery using hands, and work outdoors in all kinds of weather. Ability to distinguish among colors and work in confined spaces.
- B.S. degree in an appropriate construction or maintenance related technical or engineering field from an accredited college or university, or equivalent on-the-job training and experience.
- Proficiency with Asset Works and Kronos or similar preventive maintenance and timekeeping software would be a plus.
- Strong teamwork, project management, and problem resolution skills.
- Previous supervisory experience at Caltech or in a higher education facilities department