Professor / Reader in Sustainable Pasture Based Protein Production
Professor / Reader in Sustainable Pasture Based Protein Production, Dumfries
Salary £60,000 - £100,000 depending on experience/qualifications
Location Dumfries Ref: ASWF/R/010/19
SRUC is unique in Scotland and one of the largest organisations of its kind in Europe. Our ambitious and exciting vision is to work at local, national and international levels, leading innovation and sustainable development in agriculture and rural sectors.
The vision for Research and Teaching in SRUC is to be a leading and go-to institution, nationally and internationally, for teaching and conducting applied research to enhance the rural economy and environment. In addition to normal expectations of teaching and research quality, we expect our teaching and research to be relevant to a problem area where there is a real end-user need. Our programmes are tailored to emphasise, as the dominant theme, end-user pull whilst maintaining a strong spirit of innovation
The recently declared climate emergency requires that we look at new paradigms in terms of agricultural production. If we are to achieve the stated zero carbon ambitions for agriculture, then we must investigate and innovate in approaches to ruminant production in pasture-based systems
We are working with partners to secure investment in state-of-the-art facilities for teaching, research and development within our South and West faculty. This post will join the faculty to develop new approaches to the production of ruminants from pasture in an efficient and carbon neutral way. Develop new courses and modules in the pasture management. Provide a focus for our zero carbon ambitions
- Develop and lead an externally funded programme of research and development that supports new innovation and pasture-based production and systems.
- Lead engagement with external partners, nationally and globally. Work with SAC Consulting colleagues to develop and implement new concepts and approaches – again nationally and internationally. Lead SRUC’s international engagement in pasture based ruminant production.
- Contribute to teaching and development of courses/training.
- Develop their own research teams and support the work of other researchers.
- Supervise the work of PhD students.
- Contribute to the planning and development of facilities within the faculty.
Experience & Qualifications required
- Applicants will hold a PhD or have equivalent research experience in a relevant discipline. To be appointed at professorial level candidates should have an international profile in a relevant discipline, with sustained delivery of innovation and eminent research in the field. A track record of successful grant applications and high-quality publications is essential.
- The applicant will also have demonstrated academic leadership and will be responsible for developing strategic links across the SRUC and beyond that supplement our strengths and increase our standing as a teaching and research institution.
Please download and read the following information before proceeding with your application:
To apply for this role, please click APPLY.
Closing Date: 2 October 2019
All applications must include the following:
- A full CV with your education and professional qualifications and full employment history.
- A short supporting document explaining why this appointment interests you and how you meet the appointment criteria and key competencies as detailed above.
- Current remuneration and contractual notice period.
Please note that CVs will not be accepted without a completed application form.
SRUC Leading the way in Agricultural and Rural Research, Education & Consultancy.
SRUC is committed to valuing Diversity, advancing Equality and respecting Human Rights throughout the organisation and encouraging applications from disabled people using the “Disability Confident Employer” symbol.
SRUC is a member of the Athena SWAN charter.
SRUC. A Charitable company limited by guarantee, SC003712. Registered in Scotland No SC103046
Closing date 2 October 2019