Professor / Reader in Rural Entrepreneurship
Professor / Reader in Rural Entrepreneurship, Edinburgh
Salary £60,000 - £100,000 depending on experience/qualifications
Location Edinburgh Ref: ACF/R/030/19
SRUC is unique in Scotland and one of the largest organisations of its kind in Europe. Our ambitious and exciting vision is to work at local, national and international levels, leading innovation and sustainable development in agriculture and rural sectors.
The vision for Research and Teaching in SRUC is to be a leading and go-to institution, nationally and internationally, for teaching and conducting applied research to enhance the rural economy and environment. In addition to normal expectations of teaching and research quality, we expect our teaching and research to be relevant to a problem area where there is a real end-user need. Our programmes are tailored to emphasise, as the dominant theme, end-user pull whilst maintaining a strong spirit of innovation
Sustainable food production is at the centre of the current policy debate with consideration of climate change, animal welfare, human health and environmental management high on the policy agenda. Entrepreneurial businesses are going to be required to deliver these objectives. SRUC has a long history of influencing and driving policy in the rural sector and wishes to increase and strengthen this activity through an appointment to drive rural entrepreneurship.
This post will join the faculty to lead research, develop, new education programmes and modules in the area of rural entrepreneurship, develop a student enterprise programme, and lead collaborative activities in the area rural entrepreneurship with the ultimate aim of ensuring that SRUC is at the centre of driving innovation and entrepreneurship in the rural sector.
- Develop and lead an externally funded programme of research on rural entrepreneurship.
- Lead engagement with external partners, nationally and globally.
- Work with SAC Consulting colleagues to develop and implement new concepts and approaches – again nationally and internationally.
- Lead SRUC’s international engagement in rural entrepreneurship.
- Contribute to teaching and development of courses/training and establishing a student enterprise programme.
- Develop their own research teams and support the work of other researchers.
- Supervise the work of PhD students.
- Contribute to the planning and development of facilities within the faculty.
Experience & Qualifications required
- Applicants will hold a PhD or have equivalent research experience in a relevant discipline. To be appointed at professorial level candidates should have an international profile in a relevant discipline, with sustained delivery of innovation and eminent research in the field. A track record of successful grant applications and high-quality publications is essential.
- The applicant will also have demonstrated academic leadership and will be responsible for developing strategic links across the SRUC and beyond that supplement our strengths and increase our standing as a teaching and research institution.
Please download and read the following information before proceeding with your application:
To apply for this role, please click APPLY.
Closing Date: 2 October 2019
All applications must include the following:
- A full CV with your education and professional qualifications and full employment history.
- A short supporting document explaining why this appointment interests you and how you meet the appointment criteria and key competencies as detailed above.
- Current remuneration and contractual notice period.
Please note that CVs will not be accepted without a completed application form.
SRUC Leading the way in Agricultural and Rural Research, Education & Consultancy.
SRUC is committed to valuing Diversity, advancing Equality and respecting Human Rights throughout the organisation and encouraging applications from disabled people using the “Disability Confident Employer” symbol.
SRUC is a member of the Athena SWAN charter.
SRUC. A Charitable company limited by guarantee, SC003712. Registered in Scotland No SC103046
Closing date 2 October 2019